The Malta Independent 26 November 2014, Wednesday

Nominations close – it’s Busuttil vs Fenech; election on 30 November

Malta Independent Wednesday, 14 November 2012, 16:18 Last update: about 7 months ago

The nominations for the post of Nationalist Party deputy leader have closed at noon. Two nominations were submitted, those of MEP Simon Busuttil and Minister Tonio Fenech, who will now face off in an election.

The Electoral Commission set up by the Nationalist Party met after the nominations closed and decided that the election will be held on Friday 30 November. If a second one is needed - a candidate needs two-thirds of the votes - this will most probably be held on 2 December.

Both St Aloysius College former students, Dr Busuttil and Mr Fenech are young politicians who can help the Nationalist Party continue its internal transformation in spite of being in government for the last 15 years.

Dr Busuttil, 43, and Mr Fenech, also 43, made a name for themselves relatively quickly in the PN< with the former obtaining substantial support in the MEP elections and the minister climbing up the ranks from council to parliamentary secretary to minister in a short time.

Other potential candidates who were being mentioned ultimately did not submit their nomination. Beppe Fenech Adami, Chris Said and Mario de Marco have chosen not to present their candidature this time round.

The election for the PN deputy leadership post will be held between 29 November and 2 December, with the winner needing the support of two-thirds of the delegates who will be voting.

Tonio Borg resigned the post last month after he was nominated as Malta’s EU Commissioner-designate following the resignation of John Dalli.

Earlier today, Tourism, Environment and Culture Minister Mario de Marco confirmed he will not contest for the post.

 “Two’s a company, three’s a crowd,” Dr de Marco told journalists Wednesday morning.

  • don't miss