The Malta Independent 14 December 2018, Friday

FAA decries demolition of scheduled historic building while appeal in still underway

Saturday, 13 January 2018, 07:58 Last update: about 12 months ago

Demolition works on a Grade 2 scheduled property along Pieta marina have started despite ongoing appeal, eNGO Flimkien ghal Ambjent Ahjar said yesterday.

“ The development application was approved in June 2017 by the EPC chaired by Perit Elizabeth Ellul, who’d completely dismissed major heritage concerns repeatedly raised by FAA,” the eNGO said.  

ADVERTISEMENT

Following the approval of the application, the eNGO filed an appeal against the decision on the grounds of its complete disregard for heritage protection policy and the subsequent destruction of the entire protected streetscape that this decision will lead to.

“In need of restoration, as a Grade 2 Listed Building, this property could have benefited from a €100,000 grant scheme that had been launched by the Planning Authority in 2017,” FAA said. 

  • don't miss