The Malta Independent 22 March 2018, Thursday

PN files judicial protest against Identity Malta, Electoral Commission over electoral registry

Helena Grech Thursday, 8 March 2018, 13:47 Last update: about 13 days ago

The Nationalist Party has filed a judicial protest against Identity Malta and the Electoral Commission over incomplete electoral registers being passed on to the opposition.

Last year, the PN slammed the electoral commission for placing cash-for-passport buyers on the electoral registry, meaning giving them a right to vote, not in accordance with the law due to residency requirements.

Addressing a press conference outside of the law courts, Clyde Puli said that for 18 months Identity Malta has failed to pass on the complete registry and is selectively omitting names, not in accordance with the law.

Puli stressed this does not only relate to passport buyers but it could be that people becoming citizens through naturlisation are also being left out of the list.

Puli said that the PN will give the government ten days to rectify this and failing this, will enter the next phase which would mean filing a court case.

“This is in breach of the law and is ruining transparency in the electoral process.

This is not acceptable, the law says that each month, identity Malta passes on the whole list, with detail, to the electoral commission which then passes onto the political parties.”

Puli added that he is aware there have been discussions between the relevant parliamentary secretary and the Office of the Prime Minister about this particular issue.

Asked about whether a PN government would maintain the Individual Investor Programme, Puli skirted the question and said that the issue at hand is not about passport buyers.

  • don't miss