The Malta Independent 14 November 2018, Wednesday

Updated: 'Construction of illegal jetty' in Mellieha reported to the authorities

Wednesday, 11 July 2018, 13:21 Last update: about 4 months ago

Ongoing works on an illegal jetty in Mellieha’s Santa Marija area have been reported to the authorities by a PN local council election candidate.

In a Facebook post, Ivan Castillo said he had already alerted the authorities but works on the illegal jetty had continued.

He has now alerted the Environment Commissioner within the Ombudsman’s Office.

ADVERTISEMENT

Photos uploaded by Castillo show that the base of the jetty has already been constructed, using concrete and metal beams.

He appealed to the authorities to take immediate action.

Labour MP Clayton Bartolo later told Castillo that the jetty has been there for many years and that it was only being “repaired” after it was damaged by bad weather.

 

Bartolo said one should verify the facts before posting things on the social media. 

The Malta Independent has sent questions to the Planning Authority.

  • don't miss