The Malta Independent 21 April 2019, Sunday

Maltese citizens in Libya ‘safe’ as conflict in Tripoli escalates

Tuesday, 4 September 2018, 10:23 Last update: about 9 months ago

All Maltese citizens in Libya are safe, according to the government.

In view of the escalation of conflict in Tripoli, Libya, the Ministry for Foreign Affairs and Trade Promotion said that from official information gathered to date all Maltese nationals currently in Libya are safe. 

The Ministry for Foreign Affairs and Trade Promotion is in touch with all known Maltese nationals in Libya and is closely monitoring the situation, the statement said.

ADVERTISEMENT

Should any Maltese national wish to get in touch with the ministry on this evolving situation, the following number has been made available: (+356) 21 242 191.

Libyan authorities say the death toll from fighting between rival armed groups in the capital Tripoli has climbed to at least 50 people including civilians.

The Health Ministry says Tuesday the clashes since late August have left at least 138 others wounded.

The fighting erupted last week between groups from Tripoli and rivals from a town to the south.

The U.N.-backed government has declared a state of emergency in and around the capital.

The U.N. mission in Libya has called for an "urgent dialogue on the security situation" in Tripoli on Tuesday.

Libya slid into chaos after the 2011 uprising that overthrew and ruler Moammar Gadhafi and led to his death.

Libya is governed by rival authorities in Tripoli and the country's east, each of which are backed by an array of militias.

  • don't miss