The Malta Independent 20 March 2019, Wednesday

Updated: Malta brings in 11 migrants saved by trawler, to be relocated to Spain

Sunday, 2 December 2018, 18:32 Last update: about 5 months ago

Eleven migrants rescued by a trawler last week have been handed over to the Maltese armed forces and reached port in Malta, the Maltese government said.

The migrants will be relocated to Spain after medical assessment, the government added in a statement.

Proactiva Open Arms earlier said on Twitter that the Spanish trawler Nuestra Senora de Loreto radioed them to say the migrants had been transferred.

Earlier Sunday the Spanish government told the trawler that it had permission to dock in Malta, putting an end to its weeklong wait in the open sea.

ADVERTISEMENT

Malta, along with Italy, had initially refused to accept the boat because it had rescued the migrants in Libyan waters. The trawler rescued 12 migrants last week. One migrant was evacuated for health reasons on Friday.

European Union countries have been sharply at odds over who should take in migrants from North Africa. So far this year the International Organization for Migration says 107,216 migrants have arrived in Europe and 2,123 others have died or gone missing in their dangerous journeys across the Mediterranean Sea.

  • don't miss