The Malta Independent 21 May 2019, Tuesday

BOV Div. I: Mqabba win drab affair; Zebbug in safer waters; Pembroke move fourth

Chris Cassar Sunday, 10 March 2019, 20:13 Last update: about 3 months ago

Pembroke A-Qrendi       1-0

Pembroke A: P. Schranz, A. Mizzi, J.P. Mifsud Triganza (K. Borg 78'), G. Azzopardi, Z. Grech, T. Fenech, D. Cachia, I. Misan, J.P. Oliveira Santos (M. Da Rosa Wilmsen 89'), Y. Tonna, G. Claudio Da Silva.

Qrendi: J. Farrugia, D. Micallef, M. Farrugia, B. Bondin, D. Sammut (L. Brincat 72'), Z. Bowman, D. Zarb, J. Spiteri, J.P. Da Silva Vargas (D. Martini 75'), C. Quaranta, J. Silveira Da Silva (K. Abela 53').


Referee: Sandro Spiteri

Scorer: Jean Pierre Mifsud Triganza 28' pen

Pembroke Athleta moved to fourth place in the standings with a hard earned win over lowly Qrendi. The match was decided by a Jean Pierre Mifsud Triganza penalty in the first half. The defeat leaves Qrendi in a rather desperate position just above bottom of the table side Marsa.

Qrendi deserved something more from this match as they were the better team in the first half, and in the final minutes of the match produced a great forcing, with Pembroke goalkeeper Philip Schranz making three outstanding saves to keep his side in the game.

Deep in stoppage time Qrendi were also unlucky when a Luca Brincat shot on the turn finished against the upright. 


Zebbug R-Swieqi U          3-0

Żebbuġ R: J. Borg, D. Fava, R. Vella, H. Vella (M. Camilleri 76’), S. Buhagiar, B. Muscat (S. Schembri 67’), C. Brincat, R. Micallef (S. Darmanin 40’), J. Farrugia, I. De Rocha Souza, G. De Sousa Braga.

Swieqi U: J.C. Debattista, J. Cassar (H. Hansberg 73’), M. Attard, K. Muscat, K. Sultana, I. Margarit (S. Grech 68’), M. Vella, S. Ibrahim, M. Farrugia, L. Scicluna, D. Borg.  

Referee: Alex Johnson

Scorers: Ryan Micallef 20’, Hubert Vella 47’ pen, Clive Brincat 64’

Zebbug Rangers brushed aside Swieqi’s resistance to gain three precious points and move to safer waters. Swieqi, who practically played the whole second half with ten men, when Marc Attard received a second booking.

Swieqi missed a sitter after barely 90 seconds play, but then Zebbug took the initiative, hitting the crossbar and also having a shot cleared off the goal line before eventually going ahead on minutes through Ryan Micallef. The same Micallef was stretchered off five minutes from the break.

On the resumption Zebbug doubled the score with a Hubert Vella penalty and on 54 minutes Swieqi were down to ten when Marc Attard was sent off. The match was practically over now as Zebbug added a third ten minutes later with a Brincat header.


Mqabba-Zejtun C            1-0

Mqabba: F. Tabone, L. Farrugia, R. Da Silva Gomes, D. Micallef, G. Micallef, A. Ferreira, B. Grech, W. Borg, C. Vella (D. Azzopardi 38’), N. Micallef, L. Suma.

Żejtun C: D. Zarb, C. Giordemaina, I. Azzopardi, J. Antonio Meira (A. Carabott 63’), G. Sultana (A. Smeir 57’), J. Castano, D. Albanese, B. Farrugia, N. Tabone, R. Spiteri (D. Andelkovic 73’), A. Farrugia.

Referee: Daniel Portelli

Scorer: Lamin Suma 45+’

A Lamin Suma soft goal in the stoppage tiem of the first half, proved to be enough for Mqabba to win this drab affair and move above the same Zejtun in the standings. It was a deserved win however for Mqabba against a Zejtun side that completely lacked ides. The same Suma was sent off in stoppage time for time wasting.

In the first half there practically no attempts at goal, with Mqabba breaking the deadlock in the second minute of stoppage time. Zejtun lost possession of the ball when Albanese lost a atckle against Ferreira who served Lamin Suma who had his first attempt blocked by Zarb, but from the rebound the same Suma managed to squeeze the ball home.

In the second half Zejtun held the initiative but the Mqabba defence was never in difficulty apart from an Adam Smeir freekick that was saved by Tabone six minutes from time.

  • don't miss