The Malta Independent 23 July 2019, Tuesday

BOV Premier League: Spartans come twice from behind to grab a point

Simon Farrugia Saturday, 6 April 2019, 18:41 Last update: about 5 months ago
Photo: Domenic Aquilina
Photo: Domenic Aquilina

Senglea A.                         2
Hamrun S.                         2

Senglea A. FC: M. Farrugia, G. Camilleri, A. Caseres, Z. Cassar, D. Venancio, M. Garcia, V, Gonzalo, L. Grech (B. Schembri 89'), G. Leyton, T. Marukawa, Mido


Hamrun S. FC: M. Bartolo, C. Borg ( S. Nayar 52'), C. Calil (R. Darmanin 74'), T. Caruana, M. Criaco, C. Hennenberg, K. Micallef, O. Nikolopoulos, E. Pepe, A. Scicluna, K. Tulimieri

Referee: Darryl Agius

Asst refs: Jurgen Spiteri, Duncan Spiteri

4th official: Mario Apap

Scorers: L. Grech 32', K. Tulimieri 53', T. Marukawa 63', C. Henneberg 79'

Yellow Cards:  Henneberg, Garcia, Caruana, Caseres

Red Card:  A. Caseres (Senglea A.)

Player of the match:  Leighton Grech (Senglea A.)

TMI Top 3: 1.  L. Grech           2.    K. Tulimieri                 3.  M. Criaco

Senglea and Hamrun  took a  point each from an entertaining match which produced four goals and numerous occasions. The Spartans had to come from behind twice but in the end it was a fair result.

For Senglea this point will help them in their quest to save their status whereas the Spartans will keep on dreaming of European football.

This was Senglea's second consecutive 2-2 draw following last week's draw against Tarxien Rainbows. On the other hand Hamrun were on three positive results following wins against Birkirkara and Qormi and a draw against Hibernians.

The first round match between the two sides went Hamrun's way with the Spartans gaining a solitary goal win.

Hamrun went out in search of an early goal and inside the first minutes they had two penalty shouts turned down by the match official.  On 17 minutes a Calil fierce shot was turned onto a corner by an alert Farrugia.

Two minutes later and Sengela ventured forward for the first time in the match. Camilleri tried to nod home off a corner but goalkeeper Bartolo saved.

And it was the Cottonera outfit that took the lead just past the half hour. A swift counter attack was brought to an end by the speedy Leighton Grech whose shot on the run beat Bartolo all ends up.

Three minutes from the end of the first half Hamrun must consider themselves unlucky when off a Criaco cross in came Tulimieri but his shot found the woodwork. And luck was not their side since in the 44th minute once again Tulimieri was denied by the crossbar.

On resumption Hamrun went all out to gain equilibrium and in the 51st minute a Tulimieri after being set by Criaco was tipped onto a corner by Farrugia. And from the resultant corner Kevin Tulimieri rose perfectly to meet the ball and find the corner of the net.

Senglea reacted strongly and in the 62nd minute they took the lead once again. Grech was the supplier with Taisei Marukawa scoring from an ideal position.

In the 67th minute Tulimieri was once again in the thick of action and after rounding two defenders had his shot blocked by Farrugia.

And Senglea's woodwork was once again the protagonist for the third time when a headed effort by Pepe hit the post.

Eleven minutes from time and both teams were on level terms once again.  The Spartans were awarded a freekick and following a goalmouth scramble the ball came into Carlos Hennenberg's path who slotted in.

In the 90th minute Senglea were reduced to ten man when Augusto Caseres was given the marching orders following two bookable offences.

  • don't miss