The Malta Independent 23 July 2019, Tuesday

Wreckage of yacht destroyed by fire last week recovered

Thursday, 11 April 2019, 13:46 Last update: about 4 months ago

The wreckage of the pleasure craft, that caught fire and sank off Bighi last week, was recovered from the sea bed yesterday afternoon, Transport Malta said in a statement today.  

The wreckage was towed ashore and placed on land for further investigations.

Transport Malta monitored the situation closely since the accident and was in contact with the owner of the craft and the police.  As soon as the police gave their authorisation, the authority instructed the owner to remove the wreckage, as soon as possible, to minimise any associated risks or dangers.

ADVERTISEMENT

The owner cooperated fully and engaged the services of a private firm to remove what was left of the boat from the seabed, using divers and specialised equipment.  TM officers from the Vessel Traffic Services, Port Inspectors Unit and Maritime enforcement officers ensured that the operation was carried out safely.  

On the day of the accident, TM officials were on site to monitor for any kind of spillage or potential contamination, TM said.  Personnel from the Marina itself, Civil Protection Department and other entities, collected debris which resulted from the fire, more specifically debris which could have posed a danger to the navigation of other vessels.

The authority kept monitoring the wreckage and cooperated with other entities to minimise any potential contamination.  It was aware of a thin sheen that formed off Kalkara following the accident, however, nothing could be done to recover it. The sheen has since evaporated and dispersed naturally.

 

  • don't miss