The Malta Independent 25 April 2019, Thursday

Updated (3) - Two women die; 7 others, including 4 children, injured in Mgarr traffic accident

Sunday, 14 April 2019, 21:34 Last update: about 9 days ago

Two women from Zabbar died and seven others, including four children, were injured in a traffic accident in the outskirts of Mgarr this evening.

The accident took place at around 8.30pm on the road that leads from Mosta to Mgarr, an area where road works are taking place. It involved a Maruti and an Audi, the police said.

The women who died were the driver of the Maruti, aged 53, and one of the passengers, aged 31, both of Zabbar. They were certified dead on site.

Minutes after the accident, Health Minister Chris Fearne had said that Mater Dei Hospital has declared a major incident after two people died and seven had been taken taken to hospital.

The Audi ended in a ditch nearby while the Maruti ended up on a centre-strip after the impact.

In a statement Monday morning, the police said that the injured included the driver of the Audi, aged 31, from Mosta. Three children who were inside the car were also hurt, with a one-year-old and an 11-year-old seriously injured while a 10-year-old was slightly wounded.

Three other passengers in the Maruti, aged 77, 44 and 12, were seriously hurt, the police said.

The police did not give the gender of the persons who were injured.

Only a 29-year-old person who was in the Maruti was not hurt.

Several ambulances have rushed to the scene along with personnel from the Civil Protection Department to give first assistance.

Magistrate Charmaine Galea is leading an inquiry.

Mater Dei Hospital, in a notice on the social media, said that people are advised not to go to the accident and emergency section unnecessarily.

 

Photos Neil Camilleri

 

 

  • don't miss