The Malta Independent 26 May 2019, Sunday

Updated (2): DB group denies Moviment Graffitti's claim that it touched historical bunker

Thursday, 16 May 2019, 14:38 Last update: about 8 days ago

Db Group, in reaction to a statement made by Moviment Graffitti today, said that they absolutely deny having touched the historical bunker at the ITS site, "and we will not touch it until the superintendent of Cultural Heritage expresses his view."

"Regarding the accretions, we are not doing anything illegal or against the rules," the group said. The group explained that the works which were taking place were on areas which the group is permitted to work on.

ADVERTISEMENT

Moviment Graffitti had claimed that "rock-cutters went into action on the site of the scheduled St George's Barracks despite there being no final Court decision on the matter, and pleas to save the underground Cold War Bunker."

Last week several NGOs published plans (which had not been revealed in any of the studies commissioned by the applicant) of an underground Cold War bunker and made pleas to the Superintendent of Cultural Heritage for the issue of an Emergency Conservation Order," the NGO said.

"These pleas seem to have gone unnoticed as the rock cutters gouge out another part of Malta's heritage."

"It is not known what kind of monitoring is taking place to ensure that the excavations have no impact on the Grade 1 Scheduled Harq Hammiem Cave."

 

  • don't miss