The Malta Independent 2 December 2023, Saturday
View E-Paper

Updated (2): Simon Busuttil expected to announce resignation this afternoon

Monday, 5 June 2017, 06:03 Last update: about 7 years ago

Nationalist Party leader Simon Busuttil is expected to announce his resignation today at 2pm.

The two deputy leaders, Mario de Marco and Beppe Fenech Adami, are also expected to resign.

Nationalist Party sources have informed this newsroom that leader Simon Busuttil offered his resignation to the party executive today in the wake of yesterday’s devastating electoral defeat.

ADVERTISEMENT

The resignation had been widely expected yesterday evening when Dr Busuttil gave comments on the party’s television station, and many had been left perplexed that he had not done so.

In his first comments since the election result came out yesterday, showing another landslide victory for the Labour Party, Dr Busuttil said that following the electoral defeat, the PN will now undergo an internal stocktaking exercise.

“The PN respects the public’s decision. We live in a democracy and I am proud to have led a campaign representing good political morality”, he said in an interview on the PN television station.

Although visibly exhausted, Dr Busuttil forced a smile and said that it would be a mistake to extinguish the flame that had been lit over the past few weeks.

He said the PN needs to analyse the electoral results, take stock and determine how the party could become a stronger opposition. He said that PN still needs to represent the people.

He thanked those who voted for the PN, those who believe in him and the party, the party’s employees, volunteers and the independent media.

Earlier yesterday, Simon Busuttil contacted Prime Minister Joseph Muscat to congratulate him on his victory.

In contrast to Dr Busuttil’s chosen modus operandi, former Prime Minister Lawrence Gonzi had called in the media immediately after the 2013 result to announce his resignation.

 

  • don't miss