The Malta Independent 22 July 2019, Monday

‘Legal threats’ stop minister from giving details on arrests linked with Daphne’s murder

Helena Grech Monday, 4 December 2017, 13:08 Last update: about 3 years ago

Home Affairs Minister Michael Farrugia today refused to give further details on the arrest of ten suspects in connection with the murder of slain journalist Daphne Caruana Galizia due to “legal threats” levelled against him by her family.

Last week, Farrugia published a letter sent to him by the family of Caruana Galizia who accused him of sabotaging investigations when answering a parliamentary question about details into the investigation and cautioned they will use all legal tools at their disposal in order to prevent the situation reoccurring.

ADVERTISEMENT

This morning Prime Minister Joseph Muscat announced that eight, and then later another two people were arrested and are deemed suspects in the murder of Daphne Caruana Galizia.

Police Commissioner Lawrence Cutajar was not present for the press conference, leading to questions why he was not there.

When asked about this, Farrugia said that comments in this regard will be made “at the opportune moment”.

Asked whether the two people arrested on top of the previous eight are also Maltese, Farrugia said “the 10 people all appear to be Maltese,” but stopped short of providing further details “due to criminal legal threats made against me”.

He was giving comments after a press conference to swear in 41 reserve police constables at the police headquarters in Floriana.

When asked what stage the investigations are in with regards the ten suspects, Farrugia said that it is premature to divulge such information and that he cannot say more than this.

Present for the event was police chief Lawrence Cutajar who would not give comments on the ongoing investigation.

  • don't miss