The Malta Independent 22 October 2020, Thursday

Another group of migrants brought to Malta by MV Lifeline in June leave for Norway

Sunday, 19 August 2018, 09:41 Last update: about 3 years ago

Another group of migrants that were among the 234 disembarked in Malta by the MV Lifeline on 27 June has left for Norway, the government said in a statement.

The vessel, which had been left stranded in Maltese waters after Italy and Malta initially refused to allow it entry, was finally allowed to dock in Malta after several member states reached a migrant ‘sharing’ agreement “through the ad hoc solidarity procedure adopted by Malta” in June.

ADVERTISEMENT

This group of migrants also included a mother and an infant.

 The migrants were assessed by the immigration authorities of Norway while the Maltese authorities continued to attend to all their requirements during their stay in Malta, the government said.

Belgium, Ireland, and Italy have also pledged their commitment to participate in this mechanism.

Last week, another migrant rescue ship, the Aquarius, was allowed to enter Malta with some 141 migrants on board. Six EU member states, excluding Malta, will be ‘sharing’ those migrants. Malta, however, has picked up a number of migrants in separate rescue missions, the latest one taking place on Saturday when the AFM rescued 61 migrants from a vessel in distress some 71 miles south of Malta.

Malta has barred NGO rescue ships from entering or leaving Malta. The Aquarius was, however, allowed to enter and leave. Another NGO, Mission Lifeline, has since acquired a new vessel, managing to circumvent the Malta ban. 

  • don't miss