The Malta Independent 18 September 2019, Wednesday

Updated: Matthew Pace, two other officials resign from Planning Authority board

Friday, 19 July 2019, 16:00 Last update: about 3 months ago

Minister Ian Borg today announced the resignation of three Planning Authority officials, including that of Matthew Pace, who had been involved in a controversy over the awarding of a permit to the db Group for its project on land in Pembroke previously occupied by ITS.

Apart from Pace, the two other officials who resigned are Transport Malta’s representative on the Planning Board, Ivan Tabone, and Mariello Spiteri, an architect who sits on the Planning Commission that determines planning applications within the development zone.

A few weeks ago, acourt had declared that a decision taken by the Environment and Planning Review Tribunal, as well as that of the Planning Authority Board, on the db Group project at the ITS site, was "null and void". The case mainly revolved around board member Matthew Pace, with Mr Justice Mark Chetcuti ruling that he had a conflict of interest because of his involvement in real estate when he voted on the project.

Borg said on Facebook today that the three retired over personal reasons.

He thanked them for their services in a board which takes "crucial" decisions for the country. He said it is not easy to serve and be exposed to criticism, and people who occupy such positions must be ready to take constructive criticism.

At the same time, he said it is not acceptable to have situations as that experience in the last hours. Borg was referring to the vandalism outside the offices of the Environment and Resources Authority, and the minister expressed his solidarity with Prof. Victor Axiaq, who heads ERA.

 

  • don't miss