The Malta Independent 20 September 2019, Friday

Updated: National art collection is in danger because of Culture Ministry’s incompetence – PN

Wednesday, 21 August 2019, 17:45 Last update: about 30 days ago

The works that seem to still be ongoing in the MUZA museum show that, to Minister for Culture Owen Bonnici, this was only a political gimmick, the Nationalist Party said.

In a press statement on Wednesday, the PN criticised Bonnici for rushing the project without the necessary plans and investment to ensure that the art collection are enjoyed properly.

On Tuesday, it was reported that many works of art had been moved after mould had been discovered in the building.

“The Opposition asked Minister Bonnici more than once to take this collection and MUZA with the utmost seriousness,” they said, going on to point out that they asked to ensure that the experts would take care of the collection without political disruptions.

“The Culture Minister must now explain in detail what is happening to ensure that this situation is remedied and whether any damage has been done to the art pieces.”

In a statement, the ministry said the Opposition has to decide what its argument is: was the museum opened hastily or did it take too long?

It said the museum opened in 2018 with an investment of 10 million euro and utilises the best technology for art preservation.

Everyone who knows how European funds work knows that such projects are carried out after meticulous planning and after the necessary studies are carried out.

The 450-year-old building has temperature control technology and it is thanks to this technology that humidity was noted in certain parts of the building. Certain art pieces were removed as a precaution and they will be returned to their place as soon as possible, the ministry said.

As stated by Heritage Malta, no artworks have been damaged.


 

  • don't miss