The Malta Independent 21 September 2019, Saturday

Save Sta Lucija Open Spaces Network welcomes confirmation of archaeological findings

Tuesday, 10 September 2019, 19:54 Last update: about 10 days ago

The Save Sta Lucija Open Spaces Network has welcomed the authorities' confirmation that remains of archaeological significance have been discovered at the Sta Lucija jogging track area, and asked for NGO representatives and the media to be allowed to view the findings on site.

On Monday, the Superintendence of Cultural Heritage said that cultural heritage features of various degrees of heritage value have been found at Santa Lucija, where works are underway on an underground tunnel, the heritage watchdog said.  It said that the works are abiding by the development permit conditions it imposed as recommended during the consultation period of the planning application.

The Network also expresseed its deep appreciation for the professional work being undertaken by the Superintendence of Cultural Heritage to investigate and evaluate the findings.  "However, the Network is deeply concerned by the fact that infrastructural works are still ongoing while archaeological investigations have not yet been concluded.   The Network calls on the authorities to halt the works until thearchaeological evaluations are concluded and made public. "

The Network said that it is also concerned by the fact that Infrastructure Malta did not inform the public when these archaeological remains were first discovered.  "Were it not for civic-minded citizens who alerted the Network about these findings, the public would still be in the dark about these findings. So as to ensure public accountability and transparency, the Network calls on the authorities to publish details, such as age of the remains, number of tombs and type of structures,found so far.  The Network also calls on the authorities to allow representatives of archaeological NGOs and members of the media to see the archaeological findings on site."  


  • don't miss