The Malta Independent 5 August 2020, Wednesday

Interconnector repair works hampered by bad weather but should be completed next month

Friday, 28 February 2020, 16:23 Last update: about 6 months ago

Repairs on the interconnector have been hampered by bad weather but the works are still expected to be completed by the third week of March, Energy Minister Michael Farrugia said on Friday.

The undersea cable was damaged by a ship’s anchor in December, causing a nationwide blackout.

Enemalta CEO Jason Vella said on Friday that damage to the southside undersea interconnector cable has been fixed and repairs are now focused on the northside cable. Works have been delayed by bad weather which is expected to peak on Tuesday, he added.

ADVERTISEMENT

Enemalta had previously said that the repair works will cost some €11 million, and the company is seeking to recoup the money from insurances.

The interconnector is being repaired by French company Nexans.

Addressing a press conference, Minister Farrugia said the government is looking at alternative energy production options such as hydrogen-powered plants, offshore floating wind turbines and a second interconnector. He said, however, that the country has become self-sufficient in terms of energy production.

A report on the evaluation of these options is being compiled by the water and electricity agency and should be ready later this year.

Farrugia also announced that 400 people have applied to be part of a pilot project to charge electric cars at night with a separate meter and at a fixed rate.

300 applications have been accepted. The project was initially meant to target 100 people.

  • don't miss