The Malta Independent 8 April 2020, Wednesday

Ivan Camilleri files second libel suit against Media Today

Tuesday, 10 March 2020, 14:43 Last update: about 28 days ago

Former Times of Malta journalist Ivan Camilleri has filed a second libel suit against Media Today, over a report published in its Maltese language portal, Illum. 

The article, published on 20 December 2019, said Camilleri had been sacked by the Times after allegedly contacting Yorgen Fenech.

The report said a court had heard that Camilleri had close links to Fenech, his lawyer, Peter Fenech, said in a statement. Ivan Camilleri has, on various occasions categorically denied the contents of the report - that he had discussed anything remotely connected to the murder of Daphne Caruana Galizia with Fenech. 

ADVERTISEMENT

The report attributes to Camilleri incorrect facts and implies that there were discussions, between the two, on the murder of a journalist colleague. The court has been asked to declare the article as libellous and defamatory and for the defendant to pay damages to Camilleri.  

Camilleri is already taking legal advice with relation to a number of attempts at defamation that led to his dismissal, the lawyer said. Last week, he filed a judicial protest against allied Newspapers and Times of Malta on unfair dismissal that came as a result of claims levelled against Camilleri in the media. 

The journalist has already filed a libel suit against Media Today managing director Saviour Balzan. 

  • don't miss