The Malta Independent 30 September 2022, Friday
View E-Paper

Updated: Two charged after man is hit with a shotgun in Mqabba

Tuesday, 20 September 2022, 10:14 Last update: about 9 days ago

Two men were charged by police for allegedly attacking a man and leaving him with grievous injuries in Mqabba on 18 September.

Eugenio Gaffarena, 63, from Qrendi and his 19-year-old son, Vince Gaffarena, from Mqabba were arraigned under arrest before magistrate Monica Vella on Tuesday, charged with causing grievous injuries on Roderick Debono on 18 September.

In a statement earlier in the day, the police said that investigations started when the victim reported at a police station on Sunday that he had been attacked some hours prior, at around 2pm, by two men. Police said that one of the aggressors allegedly hit the victim with a shotgun. The victim was injured and went to a health centre for treatment. The alleged aggressors were arrested later on Sunday night in Mqabba.

According to media reports, Debono is allegedly related to a man accused of the 2020 fatal shooting of Saviour Gaffarena and attempted murder of Vince Gaffarena.

Eugenio Gaffarena was charged with grievous bodily harm, carrying a weapon during the commission of a crime, carrying the shotgun in public without a licence and uttering insults and threats towards Debono. He pleaded not guilty.

Vince Gaffarena was accused of complicity in these offences and illegally detaining the alleged victim. He also pleaded not guilty.

Bail was requested by defence lawyer Noel Bianco who said that the accused had cooperated with police investigations.

Inspector Janetta Grixti, prosecuting, confirmed that the victim had not wanted to press charges, but said the police had to proceed in view of the grievous injuries by the victim. Since the victim has not testified yet, Grixti opposed the bail request.

The court denied bail at this stage, however urged that the alleged victim testifies in the next sitting.

 


 

  • don't miss