The Malta Independent 17 June 2024, Monday
View E-Paper

32 charged in court over excessively loud music in their Valletta establishments

Monday, 20 November 2023, 17:48 Last update: about 8 months ago

A total of 32 individuals have been charged in court because their establishments in Valletta exceeded the permissible amount of music volume between November 2022 and 15 November 2023.

Home Affairs Minister Byron Camilleri replied to a parliamentary question made by PN MP Darren Carabott on Monday, who asked the Minister what actions have been taken on commercial establishments who have exceeded the permissible levels of music volume in Valletta since November of last year.

Carabott also asked Camilleri to say what were the rules broken in these establishments.

Camilleri said that he is informed that between November 2022 and 15 November 2023, the police brought 32 individuals to court as they had exceeded the permissible levels of music volume.

Camilleri said that the laws broken were various but did not give further details.

Carabott, in a separate parliamentary question, asked the Minister to say what actions the police are taking to ensure that the level of volume in these establishments respects the appropriate levels for Valletta.

Camilleri replied that the police make several rounds in Valletta, including in areas where there are commercial establishments which play music. He said that the police acts in accordance to the law and according to evidence available, and issue charges against those who create an inconvenience, when that is the case.

  • don't miss