The Malta Independent 15 April 2024, Monday
View E-Paper

Planning Authority approves permit for decommissioning tanks of San Luċjan plant

Saturday, 17 February 2024, 09:30 Last update: about 3 months ago

The Planning Authority has approved the decommissioning permit for the San Luċjan plant, with the aim of commencing the dismantling of the tanks and the closure of the facility previously used for Heavy Fuel Oil storage.

The company Petromal will now be issuing a tender with the objective of completing the dismantling of the tanks by the end of this year.

A government statement on Saturday said that this process is part of the plans for the Siċċa project, a €40 million investment where instead of an oil storage facility in the South of Malta, there will be a sustainable project.

ADVERTISEMENT

An area of 18,000 square meters will provide a new breath to the area, with plans for a hub to incorporate recreational spaces along with investments in the green and blue economy.

Over the past few months, Petromal has been preparing for the decommissioning process to ensure that the work is carried out safely and with full environmental protection for the surrounding communities.

Petromal has finalized the decommissioning plan in consultation with the Environment and Resources Authority, it said.

Following the tender process, contractors were also selected for the necessary management and the health and safety officials required to decommission and dismantle the 12 tanks.

Technical and environmental studies have been conducted to analyse the required decontamination process.

Government said that a tender has been issued for the disposal of waste oils and sludge from the tanks. Once completed, work can begin on the removal of the tanks and ancillary infrastructure.

“All of this work will be carried out in accordance with the necessary environmental permits,” the statement read.

  • don't miss