The Malta Independent 17 July 2024, Wednesday
View E-Paper

Government land granted to five football clubs

Semira Abbas Shalan Tuesday, 18 June 2024, 15:15 Last update: about 28 days ago

Five football clubs - MarsaFC, Lija Athletic, Siġġiewi FC, Gudja United, and Victoria Hotspurs, were granted government land by Sport Malta with a lease of 45 years to invest in modern sport facilities in their localities, with the transfer of these public lands by the Lands Authority being approved by Parliament resolution on Tuesday.

The lease transfer to the football clubs is paid every three months, with SportMalta officer Gianluca Azzopardi Spiteri having stated to the media that the subsidy will permit the clubs to save more than €80,000 annually between them.

The SportMalta subsidy is 95%, while the clubs will pay the remaining 5% of the lease. This 5% is placed in a sport fund, administered by SportMalta, which are then invested in sport.

The Marsa Football Cub will be paying a total of €918.75, a reduction of 95% from the original amount payable, being €18,375. Lija Athletic football club’s lease was subsidized from €16,800 to €840 yearly. This would be revised after five years.

The Siggiewi Football Club will also benefit from the government's subsidy, with its lease to cost €450 per year, down from €9,000. Gudja United Football Club is to pay the subsidized amount of €800 yearly from €16,000.

Victoria Hotspurs Football Club will be paying a lease of €625 from €12,500, after the government subsidy.

The motions to confirm the land transfers were unanimously approved by Parliament on Tuesday.

  • don't miss