The Malta Independent 22 May 2019, Wednesday

Sliema turn defeat into victory in second half

Sunday, 20 September 2015, 18:47 Last update: about 5 years ago


Sliema Wanderers turned defeat into a victory yesterday after recovering in the second half following a very poor performance in the first.

The Blues from Sliema thus registered their second win of the season and have moved onto the six-point mark.

For Mosta, it was their first defeat after having started the season on a top note with three wins from three matches.

All in all, it was a deserved win for Sliema who showed character to turn defeat into a victory with goals from Michael Mifsud and Moura Souza in the second half.

Play was more or less balanced in the first half though it was definitely Mosta who were more dangerous in their counter-attacks.

Sliema saw more of the ball, but they never managed to test Mosta goalie Omar Borg with their only efforts being some shots going well over the bar.

Mosta were well served at the back by Farrugia and Guobadia and that was where most of Sliema's attacks came to a halt.

Overall, it was a very disappointing 45 minutes in which the only exciting moment was Mosta's goal.

In the second half play improved beyond recognition as Sliema now forced the pace in search of an equaliser.

They took control of midfield and merited their equaliser, following which they also managed to score what proved to be the winning goal.

After a quiet start, it was Mosta who took the lead on the ninth minute when in a fast counter-attack, Saviour Fidelis received a through ball and advanced into the Sliema area to beat Zammit with a low shot.

On 17 minutes, Ledesma and Bezzina exchanged the ball beautifully but the former's final effort went just wide.

Play degenerated but Mosta appeared to be more dangerous in their counter-attacks from one of which, Murga saw Glenn Zammit saving his angled effort when a pass to the unmarked Fidelis could have produced a better result.

On the 41st minute, it was Mifsud who tried his luck again for Sliema, but his effort was well off target.

The Blues started the second half like a house on fire. In fact, in the 46th minute, Borg was called into action twice to save first a shot from Johann Bezzina and then turning Muir's effort to a corner.

A few minutes later, it was Kerlon Moura Souza who lifted a freekick well over the bar.

Sliema insisted and in the 56th minute, after a Ledesma pass, Moura Souza was unlucky not to equalise as his effort from the edge of the area hit the crossbar with Borg beaten.

Sliema were rewarded for their efforts when they equalised in the 59th minute. It was Ledesma who provided the pass for Michael Mifsud to flick the ball home.

Mosta's reply arrived five minutes later when a Fidelis cross passed across the Sliema goal with no one in sight to push the ball into the net.

In the 68th minute, Mosta went close when from an Ekani cross, Mano Micallef headed just wide.

Sliema took the lead on the 72nd minute. It was Pedrinho who served Moura Souza in the Mosta area to beat Borg with a low shot.

From an Ekani cross, substitute Zammit's shot was turned to corner by Zammit with the help of the upright.

Mosta tried hard to get back on level terms, but Sliema were well organised at the back and should have also scored a third when Johann Bezzina even went round goalie Borg only to hesitate and squared the ball back badly instead of shooting into an open goal.


  • don't miss