The Malta Independent 21 August 2026, Friday
View E-Paper

Nearly 1,400 Child abuse reports filed in 2003

Malta Independent Friday, 30 April 2004, 00:00 Last update: about 15 years ago

In 2003, there were 1,216 children who received one or more of the services offered by Child Protection Services workers.

Of these 1,216 cases, 827 were new. Of them, 12 per cent were referred for physical abuse, 16 per cent were referred for physical and sexual abuse, 17 per cent for neglect and seven per cent for emotional abuse. 35 per cent were referred for a combination of abuse: physical, emotional and sexual, and neglect. Two per cent were referred for bullying and abandonment.

A qualitative study on the effects of child abuse on the victims revealed that child abuse affects emotional, educational and health needs and also affects their sense of identity. Only five children – four girls and a boy aged between eight and 15 years – were chosen for the study, giving Appogg researchers a better possibility of conducting in-depth interviews with the children and thus being able to better gauge the effect that the experience had on them.

During the interviews, the children who had been abused highlighted the need for more attention to be given to the victim’s physical and emotional needs and evaluation of the connection between the abuse and the child’s academic development.

During a presentation, Sara Soler, who carried out the study, explained that child abuse is the omission or commission of an act that is developmentally harmful to the child. She said the primary needs of abused children are love and security, together with support, care and understanding. These children need to be listened to in order to be helped to build stable healthy relationships based on trust.

The recommendations and conclusions of the study included the need for shelter services for the victims and their families and the need for professionals trained specifically to identify symptoms of child abuse.

Following the presentation of the study’s results, the people present at the seminar – members of the judiciary, school heads and counsellors, psychologists, social workers, teachers and other professionals – participated in workshops

discussing the study and what can be done for the future.

Reporting back to the seminar, the participants spoke about the need for one case to have one social worker rather than several, since this can be traumatic for the abused child. They said sometimes there were four social workers dealing with one abused child.

They also spoke about the need for specialised training for teachers and school heads since these are some of the first people who might come into contact with children claiming abuse. They also spoke about the need for more volunteers to support child victims of abuse.

The participants also remarked on the increasing number of activities with which parents involve their children, including music, drama, sports and so on. While insisting that this in itself is not a bad thing, it can cause more stress for the children – which is also a form of abuse.

Meanwhile, during yesterday’s seminar, Children’s Commissioner Sonia Camilleri announced that a three-year campaign is to begin soon, during which all local children will be informed about their rights.

Mrs Camilleri said the campaign, which will be undertaken in conjunction with the Agenzija Appogg, will take three years as the plan is for children to be fully aware of their rights and not simply listen to a one-off talk.

  • don't miss