The Malta Independent 16 October 2019, Wednesday

Former MEB Employees claim discrimination

Malta Independent Wednesday, 16 February 2005, 00:00 Last update: about 6 years ago

A large number of Enemalta employees who are former Malta Electrical Board workers yesterday claimed they are being discriminated against since a pension scheme approved by the Cabinet in 1970 was never issued.

A judicial protest was filed in the first hall of the civil court by 93 Enemalta employees who were all transferred to the company from the MEB.

In it was explained that during a meeting on 10 March 1970, the Cabinet had approved a pension scheme similar to that offered to government workers.

For some unknown reason the pension scheme was never issued, despite the fact that the workers directly employed by the MEB and those transferred from the public service were entitled to such a pension.

The employees carried over such denied right to their job with Enemalta and are currently being discriminated against, resulting in great and irreparable financial losses.

The protest claimed these people work closely with others who have been given the right to a pension.

The workers are also claiming that the European law which states equal pay should be given for work of equal value is being breached since they do the same work as the employees who enjoy the benefits of a pension scheme.

The 93 workers demanded the situation be remedied immediately, by being given the right to a pension.

If not, the workers said they would take the necessary legal action to protect their rights and, meanwhile, are holding the Prime Minister, Finance Minister, Industry and Information Technology Minister as well as Enemalta responsible for the damages being incurred by them.

The protest was signed by Dr Ian Spiteri Bailey.

After receiving an indifferent reaction when a judicial protest was filed earlier this year, a large number of Enemalta employees who are former Malta Electrical Board workers yesterday once again claimed they are being discriminated against because a pension scheme approved by the Cabinet in 1970 was never issued.

The 94 people, some of whom still work with the company while others are former employees, had filed a judicial protest in February this year, making the same complaints. Not only has nothing been done about the situation, but a counter-protest had been filed, refuting the employees’ complaints.

In view of this, these people, who were all transferred to the company from the MEB, filed a court application yesterday explaining that during a meeting of 10 March 1970, the Cabinet approved a pension scheme that was similar to that given to the government workers.

For some unknown reason this pension scheme was never issued despite the fact that the workers directly employed by the MEB and those transferred from the Public Service were entitled to such a pension.

The employees carried over this denied right to their job with Enemalta and are currently being discriminated against resulting in great and irreparable financial losses.

The application claimed these people work closely with other workers who have been given the right to a pension.

They also said that the European Law that states equal pay should be given for work of equal value is being breached since they do the same work as the employees who enjoy the benefits of a pension scheme.

In view of this and considering the indifference the original protest was met with, the 94 workers demanded the situation be remedied immediately and they should be treated like the other employees and also be given the right to a pension.

The application filed yesterday was the next legal step since in the protest they said they would take all the legal action necessary to protect their rights.

In the meantime they are holding the Prime Minister, Finance Minister, Industry and Information Technology Minister and Enemalta responsible for the damages they are incurring. The application was signed by Dr Ian Spiteri Bailey

  • don't miss