Tourism Minister Francis Zammit Dimech, notwithstanding calls for his resignation from the main associations involved in the sector, claims that indicators for the winter months showed an improvement and pledged to continue working hard “day and night and over the weekend”.
Dr Zammit Dimech has been the target of criticism during the last year when tourism operators criticised his running of the ministry. He stressed that he had spoken about the situation with Prime Minister Lawrence Gonzi and pledged to continue working hard “day and night and over the weekend” for the good of the industry.
When asked by this newspaper whether he was feeling confident running the ministry in the face of such criticism, Dr Zammit Dimech said he gave his all for the industry and was intending to continue working with great determination.
The Malta Chamber of Small and Medium Enterprises (GRTU) yesterday in a press statement said the government, even through the committee presided by Dr Gonzi, was failing to find an effective solution for the crisis in the tourism industry. To this end, the GRTU called on the Prime Minister to carry the responsibility since no minister could have enough impact that would put tourism back on track.
According to a study commissioned by the GRTU, the industry’s contribution to the national economy fell by 14 per cent over the last decade. The study showed also that the industry was lagging behind in economic growth, while the pool of strong operators was diminishing in size as operating surpluses in the industry were the worst registered in all economic sectors.
Results showed that the industry had fared badly in relation to tourism in the Mediterranean, to the growth rate of global tourism. It had also failed when taking into consideration the French, Germans and Italians who visited Mediterranean countries and when taking into consideration EU nationals who visited other EU states.
The study said hotels were closing down, restaurants, bars, shops and providers of tourist-related services were feeling the blow, while the plan that was supposed to save it all was in reality very weak.
The GRTU is suggesting that the government has dragged its feet over the issue and now was the time for drastic measures. “Only the Prime Minister has the power to take such action. Future measures need to come from a seat stronger than that of any minister.” The chamber said it hoped the Prime Minister would take heed of their requests and take control.
On Thursday, GRTU director general had called on the Prime Minister to remove Dr Zammit Dimech from minister, take over the Tourism Ministry portfolio and hand over the Finance Ministry to parliamentary secretary Tonio Fenech.