The Malta Independent 22 August 2026, Saturday
View E-Paper

Manuel Dimech Bridge: East Bridge Expected to open next week

Malta Independent Wednesday, 21 November 2007, 00:00 Last update: about 13 years ago

Approximately one year after the rehabilitation works on the Manuel Dimech Bridge commenced, the bridge’s eastern viaduct (also known as East Bridge) is expected to be opened to traffic next week.

Works will then commence on the western viaduct, the carriageway leading from Kappara to Paceville. This was announced during a technical visit to see Manuel Dimech Bridge’s work in progress yesterday, during the laying out of the tarmac on the eastern viaduct.

Architect Malcolm Gingell, project manager for BCP Joint Venture, who are responsible for the reconstruction, said: “It is high time the public get to know the technical aspects and technological innovation used on this bridge, which has been designed and is being built according to a high European standard. We are proud to be able to say we have now acquired the knowledge of how bridges are built to a European standard.

“The new bridge is being built with a ‘Post-ancient structure’, according to different standards so as to be in line with the Trans-European Transports’ Network (TEN-T, supported by the European Commission Directorate General for Transport). The super-structure has a design life of 80 years while the sub-structure has a design life of 100 years. The old bridge on the other hand was built in 1970-71 and was used for only 37 years. The old bridge’s columns are being re-used, however thanks to the rehabilitation work being done they now have an extended design life,” he said.

According to architect Gingell, and Architect Reuben Cauchi, from the Supervising Consortium made up of Malta’s Design & Technical Resources (D.T.R.) and Germany’s Koing, Heunish und Partner (K.H.P.), work on the bridge will be completed at the beginning of May 2008, as stated in the programme of works submitted to the Transport Authority. More workers are being sent over from Italy and they are confident this will allow the programme to work out on time.

“The western viaduct was in a worse state in comparison with the eastern viaduct. We know what to expect now so there shouldn’t be any unforeseen circumstances. However there is always the risk element and this project has been a big challenge for the whole consortium,” stated Mr Gingell.

In October 2006 Urban Development and Roads Minister Jesmond Mugliett told parliament that a US$5.8 million contract for reconstruction and rehabilitation of the Manuel Dimech Bridge was awarded to BCP Joint Venture. Work started in mid-November 2006 and was first estimated to be completed last September. The new May deadline means in effect there is going to be an eight month delay.

When asked to explain why there was this delay, Mr Gingell said: “A number of factors caused the delay, however most of all it happened while building the scaffoldings before starting the demolition of the substructure, and during the construction stage since we had to wait for various materials to come from overseas, mostly Italy, France and Germany, and unfortunately there was an unanticipated delay until all the materials got here. This may have been due to the occasional communication gap between Maltese and foreign employees sending the materials from overseas.

“Way back in November last year we started with work under the bridge – the foundation and scaffolding. The scaffolding’s modular system allows it to be changed according to the form of the bridge. The demolition of the bridge took place in three phases. A lot of research on the type of concrete used was done and the results were definitely successful. The concrete was laid out at night, when the heat is considerably reduced, thus contributing to the durability of the bridge. Thanks to the new structure, maintenance can be done on the bridge itself. Waterproofing has been carried out to a German standard,” Architect Gingell explained.

“The new bridge is wider on the south side, so that cars can turn more easily towards St Julian’s. It is still a two lane bridge together with a deceleration lane. All the materials used came from overseas and are at the higher end of what is available on the market, such as the drainage pipes which are made of galvanised steel. Also, the new type of expansion joints being used can handle any expansion due to the movement of cars and heat much better, and will be able to last much longer,” he added.

“We have done our utmost to make sure people have been working from a safe platform and I feel that till now we’ve managed to keep up that standard of safety. A maximum of 50 people have been working on site daily all in all, on a 10-11 hour schedule,” he said.

  • don't miss