Much has been said in the past days following the Irish “no” vote in the Lisbon Treaty referendum. Thursday and Friday were key days for the European Union as Ireland was given four months to come up with a solution following its refusal of the Lisbon Treaty.
Ireland now has to present proposals at the forthcoming EU summit to be held in October.
More than a week has passed from the outcome of this referendum and it’s quite obvious that the Irish people did not comprehend the treaty because the majority, in a low turn out referendum, sided with the “No” camp.
Matters that had nothing to do with the treaty itself conquered the debate in Ireland and this played a crucial role in the final result. Such issues were neutrality, low business tax rate and abortion. Additionally this campaign was described as dishonest, aimed to create confusion and doubt among the electorate, as there were falsehoods about taxation, neutrality and other issues that lead to a non-informative campaign.
Both France and Germany have urged the EU to press ahead with the project and now the Irish government is expected to bow to Franco-German energy and go for a second referendum to try and rescue the Lisbon treaty that voters rejected this month.
According to Irish ministers the treaty can be saved if they can secure concessions from Europe to conciliate voters on a list of issues. It is being said that a “yes” vote can be obtained if the Irish people are offered assurances on questions like defence and taxation.
The hope of 500 million European citizens will depend on this second Irish referendum. It is understood that the “new referendum” may take place next spring, so that the treaty may come into force before the European election campaign for the Brussels parliament next year. The French president and the German chancellor are supporting the date.
Still we have to follow what will happen in Belgium, The Netherlands, the Czech Republic, Italy, Spain, Cyprus and Sweden as these countries will have to approve the treaty in the course of a vote in their respective Parliaments.
The reconstruction of
the Dar Centrali
On Saturday it was a significant day for the party I belong to. At last the Nationalist Party’s new headquarters was inaugurated as the party in government continued to celebrate more achievements. As Prime Minister Lawrence Gonzi said during this historical day for PN, the new premises will be the place where ideas and hope is fulfilled.
The new state-of-the-art Dar Centrali is another mark of a renewed party following three consecutive wins in the last general elections. The launch of this new political building is part of the renewal process my party is going through. This development started in March 2002 with the demolition of the old stamperija premises. Now the PN headquarters has risen to eight floors, integrating all the PN’s media and management.
Unquestionably, outgoing PN secretary general Joe Saliba had a vital function for the reconstruction of our new headquarters. This is Mr Saliba’s last week as secretary general following a magical era for the party with him at the helm at tal-Pieta. He achieved massive results, including the triumph of three elections, which surely confirmed that he is the talented man that gave a lot to the PN.
But after March’s triumph, the party is still getting renewed and this week it will be another central week for the party. Following the election of 13 members in the Council as members of the executive committee, next Friday we shall be having the election to elect the successor to Mr Saliba in the post of secretary general.
I would like to give the best of luck to the two contestants for this post, MP Charlo Bonnici and Valletta mayor Paul Borg Oliver. The one elected will be in for a tough job, especially to help the party achieve a victory next year in the European Parliament elections and in five years time, in the next general election. Having said that, I am sure that the one to be chosen will be capable to contribute to more historical successes for our country and the party.
There will also an election for five other different posts within the party, hence I would like to extend my sincere stoke of luck to all the other nominees. Such people are contributing a lot to the party in government and they deserve the entire and necessary respect. Good luck to all!
David Casa is a Nationalist MEP
www.davidcasa.eu
[email protected]