The Malta Independent 23 August 2026, Sunday
View E-Paper

Football: Alcorse Joins Greens

Malta Independent Thursday, 14 July 2011, 00:00 Last update: about 16 years ago

In a press conference held yesterday, Floriana FC coach Michael Woods spoke about the importance of the fixture for the club which was returning to European football after almost 20 years.

Floriana FC also announced that they had signed Argentine striker Julio Alcorse.

Alcorse signed a one year contract and all the necessary paperwork has been deposited making Alcorse eligible to play in the UEFA Europa League matches against AEK Larnaca.

29 year old Alcorse is a Boca Juniors product and is not a new face to Maltese football. He was brought to Malta in 2007 by Hibernians and since then also played with Marsaxlokk and Sliema Wanderers.

He established himself as one of the most prolific strikers in the local league and in these past four seasons he scored over 40 goals.

The Greens also presented their new players who are Luke Agius, Matthew Towns, Christian Cassar and William Amamu’, Thomas Paris, Edilson Dos Santos.

“This is a hugely important game for us and one has to consider that the Cypriot team has a huge reputation. However with Floriana returning to Europe after an absence of 17 years, morale in the club is high”, coach Michael Woods said.

“We know that Larnaca are of a higher level than us but we believe that we can rise to the occasion as we did in the FA Trophy final”, captain Manolito Micallef said

Woods said that Larnaca had a coach with considerable experience of the local scene in the form of Tan Kaanen with players who also played previously in Malta.

Floriana President Johann Said said that the squad has been strengthened with the acquisition of Thomas Paris from Birkirkara and Christian Cassar from Marsaxlokk. He said that Towns, Alcorse and Amamu’ had been confirmed on new contracts adding that it was possible for the club to acquire new players within the transfer window.

Said confirmed that Nwoke has been released following the player’s going on holiday without returning adding that the club had registered a dispute with the Malta Football Association on his conduct.

  • don't miss