The Malta Independent 23 August 2026, Sunday
View E-Paper

Shooting: International Double Trap Malta Grand Prix To be held on 24 July

Malta Independent Saturday, 16 July 2011, 00:00 Last update: about 13 years ago

The Malta Shooting Sport Federation yesterday announced that the second International Double Trap Malta Grand Prix is to be held on Sunday 24 July.

MSSF President Saviour Portelli and MSSF Secretary Dr Carmel Cascun addressed reporters with Dr Cascun saying that preparation for the staging of this event started way back in February.

He said some of Europe’s top shooters will be taking part in this prestigious, the first edition of which last year, was a huge success.

Seven nations have already confirmed their participation, although many international shooters are still participating in the ISSF World Cup series to qualify for an Olympic quota place that Malta already has achieved, thanks to William Chetcuti’s gold medal in Beijing a few weeks ago.

Malta will be represented by William Chetcuti and Nathan Lee Xuereb. Saad Al Mutari from Kuwait, who is already in Malta – he came over straight from the Maribor World Cup - said that he is very pleased with the MSSF facilities, Malta in general and its people. He is competing here following his first participation last year.

Others among the 17 shooters who have already confirmed their participation include Dubai’s Saif Al Shamisi, Hakan Dahlby of Sweden, top German shooter  Walder Schranz, Finland’s Simo Koyilinen as well as Italian top shooters such as Olympic medallist Francesco D’Aniello, Marco Innocenti, Danielle Gasparini, Antonio Barilla, Anton Chiamese. Ferdinando Rossi and Camerini will also be taking part.

Federation president Saviour Portelli thanked the four main sponsors – Middlesea Valletta Life, Bank of Valletta, Blue Line, Pintonino Ristorante anfd the KMS, for the continued support.

The high prize money includes 4,500 euros for the winner, 2,000 euros for the second placed, 1,000 euros for the third placed and 500 euros each for the remaining three shooters in the barrage.

The first round is to start at around 10am on Sunday 24 while the barrage should start by 2pm. Every shooter will be having three rounds of 50 each with the top six to qualify for a spectacular barrage final of another 50 on flash targets.

Dr Carmel Cascun and Saviour Portelli both thanked coach Jimmy Bugeja, and MSSF PRO Edwin Vella for  their initiative in the organisation of this Grand Prix.

Farrugia hits 117/125 in Maribor

Maltese Skeet shooter Clive Farrugia continued his competition at the ISSF World Cup Maribor in Slovenia.

After the opening day’s impressive start when he managed a perfect straight of 25/25 in his first round and 24/24 in the second, yesterday he hit 23, 21 and 24 for a total of 117/125 being an ISSF MQS. 

In this event, Clive was competing among 135 shooters from several nations. The best six overall will compete for a barrage final of another 25 clays that will be decisive for Olympic quota places.

Before the barrage finals three shooters, Giorgos Achilles from Cyprus, Golding Anders from Denmark and Brovlond Tore from Norway, had already managed 124/125.

Clive is being assisted by MSSF official Grezzju Agius and Skeet coach Luduvico Di Maio.

Clive Farrugia, William Chetcuti and Jason J. Aquilina’s participation in this ISSF World Cup was mainly thanks to the Malta Olympic Committee.

  • don't miss