The Malta Independent 23 August 2026, Sunday
View E-Paper

Pressure Already mounting on big-spending Bayern Munich

Malta Independent Saturday, 13 August 2011, 00:00 Last update: about 15 years ago

The pressure is already on big-spending Bayern Munich after just one game of the season when they travel to Wolfsburg in the Bundesliga today.

Despite investing close to €44 million ($63 million) to shore up their defence in the offseason, Bayern were beaten 1-0 at home by Borussia Moenchengladbach, and another defeat could see them fall six points behind main title rivals Borussia Dortmund after two games.

Defending champions Dortmund — who travel to Hoffenheim — carried on where they left off with a comprehensive 3-1 win over Hamburg on the opening weekend.

Borussia Moenchengladbach host Stuttgart in today’s late game, with both sides full of confidence after opening wins.

Bayer Leverkusen — last year’s runners-up — host Werder Bremen tomorrow, when Bundesliga newcomers Augsburg visit Kaiserslautern.

“Now is not the time to panic,” Bayern’s sporting director Christian Nerlinger said.

In words that appeared to be directed at Dutch winger Arjen Robben, who failed to link up with new signing Rafinha on the right against the well-organized Moenchengladbach defence, midfielder Bastian Schweinsteiger said the players need to play more as a team.

“It doesn’t bring much when you take on three or four players alone,” the 27-year-old said. “That was also our problem at times last season. We can’t let that mistake happen again.

“When you look at other teams in the Bundesliga, they don’t have the same individual quality, but they prevail as a team. We have to do that too.”

Bayern will take heart from the fact Dortmund lost their opening game of the season last year before going on to win the title.

Wolfsburg, meanwhile, got over the shock of their exit from the German Cup to start the league with a 3-0 away win over Cologne, and coach Felix Magath believes the timing is right to meet his former club.

“It’s always better to have to play Bayern early, when they aren’t so well-rehearsed yet,” the 58-year-old said.

Injuries have ruled Paraguay striker Lucas Barrios and Serbia defender Neven Subotic out for Dortmund, who are looking to 19-year-old Mario Goetze to maintain his irresistible form against Hoffenheim.

“They have always been awkward opponents for us,” Dortmund chief executive Hans-Joachim Watzke said.

Leverkusen hope the loan signing of Stuttgart’s Bernd Leno will solve their goalkeeping problems following the knee injury to regular No. 1 Rene Adler.

Replacements David Yelldell and Fabian Giefer both made high profile mistakes in Leverkusen’s German Cup exit and opening weekend loss to Mainz respectively.

Schalke host Cologne today, with both sides desperate to register their first win.

Hamburger SV and Hertha Berlin are in a similar situation, and Hertha coach Markus Babbel is poised to start with Brazilian Raffael in a bid for more potency in attack for the trip north.

Peru striker Paolo Guerrero has been ruled out for four weeks with a torn thigh muscle for Hamburg, who turned down an offer from Juventus for Netherlands forward Eljero Elia.

  • don't miss