Football - Klinsmann hits back
at Lahm's criticism
United States coach Juergen Klinsmann says criticism from Germany captain Philipp Lahm is "absolutely unqualified and inappropriate." Klinsmann said in a Saturday night interview with Germany's ZDF television that "there are limits to everything ... A player only sees his own little world, in the sense of how he wants it." Lahm claimed that the 47-year-old Klinsmann showed little tactical awareness during his unsuccessful time as Bayern Munich coach. Lahm later apologized for any offense caused by his book, "The Subtle Difference." Klinsmann added: "There is never the perfect coach for a player, there is always a fault. Only after your playing career has ended, do you get sight of the bigger picture."
Wilshere out for at least
two more months
Arsenal midfielder Jack Wilshere says his nagging ankle problem will keep him out for at least another two months. The 19-year-old England international has yet to play a match this season because of the injury he sustained in June, which flared up again early in a preseason game against New York Red Bulls. Wilshere said on Twitter yesterday, "I can confirm I will be out for around 2-3 months. I am working hard in the gym to stay fit and I am gutted but I will be back stronger." His latest prognosis means Wilshere will miss England's final European Championship qualifying match, at Montenegro on 7 October, as well as the start of Arsenal's Champions League campaign. Arsenal has just one point from its first three Premier League matches.
Motorsport - MotoGP to stay at Indy through 2014
The Indianapolis Grand Prix will remain at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway until 2014. MotoGP commercial rights holders Dorna Sports announced an agreement yesterday with the iconic American venue following a meeting between Indy speedway corporation president and CEO Jeff Belskus and Dorna Sports CEO Carmelo Ezpeleta. The Indianapolis Motor Speedway has been hosting MotoGP since 2008. MotoGP championship leader Casey Stoner of Australia won last week's race at Indy.
Athletics - IAAF to stick
with false start rule
The IAAF has no plans to change its stringent false start rule for next year's London Olympics despite the disqualification of Usain Bolt in the 100 metres at the world championships. IAAF President Lamine Diack said no one at yesterday's Council meeting asked for the rule to be reconsidered and added it will still be there next year. In the wake of Bolt's disqualification last Sunday, critics called the zero-tolerance false start regulation of "one error and you are out" cruel and counterproductive since it eliminated the sport's only superstar from its marquee event. Many, including Jamaican officials, wanted the IAAF Council to reconsider the rule to avoid having a similar incident next year in London. Bolt himself said it was a lesson for him and did not demand a change. Instead, Bolt blamed an anxiety attack. Diack gladly pointed out that Bolt was on his side of the debate and insisted the current system was the best available option. Until 2003, the rule was that every runner got a second chance. But too many false starts delayed the schedule of events all too often. At first it was tightened to allow just one false start per race in sprint events. But certain sprinters deliberately false started to put everyone on guard. And then last year, the IAAF tightened the rule to the extreme and punished every false start with disqualification. Bolt was not the only high profile casualty of the system. Dwain Chambers also was eliminated in the 100 and Olympic 400 champion Christine Ohuruogu false-started in the heats.