There are still 17 more days for the start of the 32nd edition of the Rolex Middle Sea Race, but it is already evident that it is going to be another huge success.
Royal Malta Yacht Club (RMYC) Commodore Georges Bonello duPuis announced yesterday that 73 entries have been received for participation in this year’s race, and with the closing date being Monday 17 October, there might also be some late entries.
The boats so far entered hail from 15 different nations. Italy will be the most represented with 26 boats, followed by the UK with nine, Malta eight, Germany six, Russia five, Spain four, The Netherlands and France three each, the Czech Republic and Austria two each, and South Africa, Lithuania, Hungary, Hong Kong and Gibraltar, one each.
The Italian list of entries is headed by Luna Rossa of Patrizio Bertelli, while among the Maltese entries, there is Elusive 2, whose skipper, Arthur Podesta, and his family will be contesting the race for the 32nd time!
Other local boats who will be eyeing the podium are Artie, Ton Ton Surfside, Commanche Raider GasanMamo, Otra Vez and Aziza.
All entrants among the faster yachts will be looking forward to break the course record set by George David’s Rambler in 2007 – a time of 47 hours, 55 minutes and three seconds. That boat shattered the previous record by 17 hours.
The Commodore said the race has become an international event of great prestige with the good number of boats taking part which bring over to Malta a large number of crew members (last year between 600 and 700).
Bonello duPuis said there will be 15 large boats apart from the others who will be taking part in the various categories.
He added that among the international competitors will be Russian debutant Visconte, which is to travel 2,000 nautical miles to be here as a participant.
This year, the RMYC is celebrating 10 years of partnership with Rolex. He said: “The development of the race and indeed, the yachting scene in Malta has been phenomenal in recent years. Our partnership with Rolex has made it a truly international occasion and one which stamps Malta’s position firmly on the yachting circuit. It is a privilege for us to receive the continued support of such an iconic brand and one of which we are justly proud.”
The new club opened in 2008 at Ta’ Xbiex Sea Front. For the first time, it will feature a 66-berth pontoon allowing the majority of entrants to be berthed immediately outside the club. Others will be moored at the Excelsior Hotel facilities. “This is a brilliant development for us. In effect, we will be having a race village on our doorstep,” said the Commodore.
He also revealed that there will be another first for this year’s edition – the introduction of the Nautor Swan Cup. This will be presented to the best placed of the eight Swans taking part. The prize-giving ceremony is scheduled to be held on 29 October at the Mediterranean Conference Centre in Valletta.
The race starts from Grand Harbour on Saturday 22 October. The first start is scheduled for 11am and the last one at 11.50am. The event, however, starts with a short coastal race on Wednesday 19 October at 10am, starting and finishing from near the clubhouse in Ta’ Xbiex.
The Rolex Middle Sea Race is organised in association with the Royal Ocean Racing Club (RORC) and has been sponsored by Rolex since 2002.