The Malta Independent 19 August 2026, Wednesday
View E-Paper

F1 Drivers not concerned about safety in Brazil

Malta Independent Saturday, 26 November 2011, 00:00 Last update: about 16 years ago

Formula One drivers are not worried about their safety heading into tomorrow’s Brazilian Grand Prix despite Jenson Button’s confrontation with armed men a year ago outside the Interlagos track in South America’s biggest city.

The attack on Button has not prompted significant changes to increase their safety in Brazil this year, teams and drivers said on Thursday. Even the British driver said he was not too concerned about returning to the South American country after the frightening experience he went through a year ago.

Button’s father, John, who was also in the car attacked by gunmen in 2010, said they were “not living in fear” because of what happened last year.

Button, his father and his physiotherapist had left the track after qualifying when a group of armed men attempted to attack their armoured Mercedes. They escaped thanks to evasive manoeuvers by the car’s driver, an undercover local police officer.

The McLaren driver said it was one of the scariest moments of his life and that it was frightening to have a gun pointed at him, but he wanted to leave the attack in the past and only focus on racing this year.

Speaking briefly outside the McLaren office in Interlagos, he said there were “no changes” at all to his routine this year.

His father said he never thought about not coming to Brazil to accompany his son just because of last year’s attack.

He said, however, that there have been minor changes to the safety measures surrounding his son and other McLaren team members, including the addition of a local police car escorting them to the track.

“I think all the drivers have got a police car tracking them in,” John Button said. “I think they’ve got it all covered.”

Red Bull’s Mark Webber said nothing has changed for him, not even on his way to Interlagos using the same streets where the Buttons were attacked in 2010.

“I’m still driving to the track on my own,” he said. “No changes for me.”

Webber’s teammate, reigning two-time world champion Sebastian Vettel, said it’s the sixth consecutive season he has been coming to Brazil and doesn’t think anything needs to be done differently from previous years.

“Surely you don’t want something like that to happen,” he said. “But I don’t think you need to be in Brazil (for it to happen). It can happen to you somewhere else around the planet, so I don’t think we really need to be concerned. Nothing changed.”

Attacks on drivers who stop at traffic lights or slow their cars in areas with intense traffic are not uncommon in Brazil, although no incidents have been reported near the track so far this year.

Virtually all teams provide their drivers and crew with armoured vehicles to use on the trip from their hotels to the track. They also often provide drivers trained in avoidance techniques.

Sao Paulo state police said nearly 4,000 police officers have been deployed to maintain public safety near the Interlagos track this year. It wasn’t immediately clear if that was more than in 2010.

McLaren driver Lewis Hamilton had the fastest time in practice for the season-ending Brazilian Grand Prix yesterday, outpacing the Red Bulls of Sebastian Vettel and Mark Webber.

Hamilton had a time of 1 minute, 13.392 seconds at the 4.3-kilometre (2.6-mile) Interlagos track. Vettel was second with a time of 1:13.559 ahead of Webber with 1:13.587.

Ferrari driver Fernando Alonso was fourth fastest in 1:13.598.

With the title already decided, tomorrow’s Brazilian GP features the fight for second place, with Webber, Alonso and Jenson Button still with a chance to finish runner-up.

Webber had been the fastest in the first practice session in South America’s biggest city, followed by Button and Hamilton.

A mechanical failure forced Alonso to stop with about five minutes to go in the morning session and he was forced to change his engine. He was not penalized for the change, however, because he switched to a used engine instead of a new one, which would have incurred a grid penalty for tomorrow’s race.

  • don't miss