The Malta Independent 17 August 2026, Monday
View E-Paper

Football: St Patrick To celebrate centenary since being set up and 100 years of football in Zabbar

Malta Independent Thursday, 19 January 2012, 00:00 Last update: about 13 years ago

First Division side St Patrick are celebrating their centenary since the club was set up this year.

They are also celebrating 100 years of football in the locality, where the first teams were Zabbar Hompesch, Zabbar United, Zabbar Youngsters, Zabbar Amateurs and Zabbar FC.

Addressing a news conference yesterday, Dr Josie Muscat, the club’s president, said a sub committee, chaired by former president Alfred Portelli, had been formed and it had worked hard to outline a programme for the celebrations.

Dr Muscat said it was not yet known how the club became to be known as St Patrick FC. “In all probability, some Irish soldiers serving in Corradino during the Second World War, had influenced the Zabbar people to name the club after Ireland’s patron saint.

Dr Muscat went on to mention at least two great players who donned the club jersey in the past. These were goalkeeper Charlie Vella, formerly of Sliema W. (now 74 years old), as well as Tony Formosa, a former national coach.

Dr Muscat said they were only announcing the activities of the first three months in view of the current political situation in the country. But he revealed that as part of the celebrations, a concert from a popular Maltese group was being held during the summer.

The club has had 20 presidents since being named St Patrick and these included Victor Cauchi, Anthony Cachia, Espedito Caruana, Dr Joseph Muscat (father of the current president), and Alfred Portelli.

It was under the latter’s helm that the team had a glorious run of 38 undefeated matches in the 1980s when the team won three successive promotions from the Third Division to the Premier League, apart from reaching the FA Trophy semifinals.

To commemorate the occasion, the club has commissioned a badge as well as two sets of jerseys as those used in the past in the hope that these will be used next season.

Alfred Portelli, chairman of the organising committee, thanked all those who had worked alongside and especially Dr J. Muscat, Manuel Schembri, Lawrence Bugelli and Manuel Gauci, who were responsible for the printing of a special calendar for 2012 with pictures of the teams from the past.

He said that there will be activities every month, including festivals by the Nursery and football matches between the present and old time players.

In February, there will be a painting activity at the two schools in Zabbar where children will paint items concerning football, the yellow and black and the club’s anniversary.

The club’s merchandising for this centenary celebration will also be launched in February. On the 17th of that month, the club is planning to hold a dinner at a restaurant in Smart City.

In March, there will be an exhibition about the club at the hall of the Local Council. On 17 March there will also be a social activity for players, former players, coaches and presidents of the club, while the following day, there will be a Holy Mass, following which a special commemorative plaque will be unveiled at the club.

Among other projects planned for the occasion is a book which will give a detailed account of the history of football in Zabbar as well as a souvenir publication for the occasion.

The activities are also being staged with the coordination of the Zabbar Local Council.

The club has launched an appeal to former players and coaches to take part in the activities being held throughout the year. Those who have not yet been contacted are asked to call Felix Vella on 99876219 so as to be invited for the celebrations.

  • don't miss