The Malta Independent 17 August 2026, Monday
View E-Paper

Fitzel Turns down national coach offer due to commitments in Czech Republic

Malta Independent Friday, 3 February 2012, 00:00 Last update: about 14 years ago

Dusan Fitzel has turned down the offer of becoming national team coach and has decided to stay in the Czech Republic due to professional reasons, it was revealed on Wednesday at the MFA Council meeting for February.

MFA President Norman Darmanin Demajo said that a list of names had been drawn up by the MFA Technical Director including former Italian players Antonio Cabrini and Francesco Graziani as well as former Liverpool player Sammy Lee and former Rumanian international Marius Lacatuz. The appointment is expected to be made either in March or in April.

Two players in a Santa Lucija-Zurrieq match were suspended for ten years which decision is under appeal. A discussion ensued on whether the players can play until an appeal is decided but the Council ruled this out.

Erik Akoto from Floriana was fined €200 while Gianluca Calabretta was fined € 150 for disrespectful behavior by their clubs Floriana and Hamrun Spartans.

The Judicial protest by Carmel Busuttil and John Buttigieg was also discussed.

Darmanin Demajo said that an agreement had been reached for payment until 31st January. Referring to the judicial protest filed by both coaches, CEO Bjorn Vassallo said that FIFA imposes rules and regulations which have to be observed and claims should be withdrawn from the courts.

The council decided that Busuttil and Buttigieg should be suspended from any coaching activities until they drop the case in the courts. A discussion ensued with some council members disagreeing with payments being made if settlement on the court case is made.

One council member noted that Birkirkara would end up without a coach if the suspension would go ahead, a point which was agreed upon by the council. Vassallo referred to a previous case between Valletta President Victor Sciriha and AS Hibernians which was resolved successfully.

Hamrun Spartans also notified that Marco Abdilla and Reuben Balzan resigned with Antoine Attard now on the committee. Several other resignations and appointments were also revealed during the session.

Several players submitted requests for pending payments which were passed to the Disciplinary Control Board.

Darmanin Demajo also mentioned the project where young children who are promising would be given training and mentoring under a specialized coach.

Kevin Mifsud has been appointed the national team coach for Futsaal on a contract for 13 months. The MFA President also went into detail on the qualifications of a Technical Director and a National Team Coach according to FIFA standards.

The MFA President also recommended clubs to establish a sinking fund to keep on maintaining their pitches as the MFA would no longer be in a position to support these pitches after their installation. A discussion also ensued on the cost of maintaining these pitches with a maximum of around EUR 2750 for the largest pitch.

MFA CEO Bjorn Vassallo also revealed that a project involving photo voltaic panels was in the pipeline with expressions of interest to be published in the media over the weekend.

  • don't miss