Eight teams are taking part in this year’s Winter League, to commence on 3 March, and which will be sponsored by the Bank of Valletta.
The participating teams are Neptunes, Sliema, San Giljan, Valletta, Sirens, Exiles, Marsascala and the ASA Youth Selection (national U-17 team).
When the draws were made yesterday, San Giljan and Valletta will be clashing in the first match on Saturday 3 March, with Sliema facing Exiles in the match that follows.
The other opening round fixtures are as follows:
Sunday 4 March: Neptunes-Marsascala and Sirens-ASA Youth Selection.
The ASA Youths team will be playing out of competition but players will be able to turn out for their clubs in the league matches. The team is being prepared by coach Karl Izzo in preparation for the Comen Cup in November this year and the Under 17 European Championships to be held in Malta in September 2013.
The clash between the two local giants, Sliema and Neptunes, is scheduled for Sunday 11 March.
Addressing a news conference yesterday, ASA president Joe Caruana Curran thanked Bank of Valletta for their sponsorship of the waterpolo competitions.
He added that after some complaints last year, there will be a few changes this year, especially with regard to the summer league play-offs. Otherwise, the format will remain the same as that of last year.
He then revealed that with the help of Bank of Valletta, the National Swimming Pool will be boasting a new scoreboard this year. “We hope to have it in use during the winter league, but if not, we definitely will be using it for the international swimming meeting to be held between 12 and 14 April. The one used at present has been in use since 1993. It is time for a change,” he added.
Peter Perotti, the Bank of Valletta CEO, said the Bank was glad to be associated with the ASA and its waterpolo competitions. “I was amazed with the increase in attendances last season. It is evident that the high standard of waterpolo in Malta, with the help of the participation of top class foreigners brought over by the clubs every year, is contributing towards the increase in interest on the part of the spectators,” he said.
He added that together with the ASA, they were looking forward for the start of the first competition in three weeks’ time. “We are certain the sporting public will also follow this competition with great interest. We hope that last year’s record crowds at the National Pool will be back to watch this year’s competitions,” he added.
He also said that the ASA should be proud of the fact that a player like Steve Camilleri was playing in one of the world’s top leagues - in Italy - while other youngsters are also playing abroad. “This is just one reason why we are glad to sponsor the ASA and the game of waterpolo,” he said.
Opening round fixtures
Saturday 3 March: San Giljan-Valletta; Sliema-Exiles
Sunday 4 March: Neptunes0Marsascala; Sirens-ASA Youth Selection