The Malta Independent 20 August 2019, Tuesday

Birgu ditch provides green lung to the city

Tuesday, 8 March 2016, 16:17 Last update: about 4 years ago

Residents in the Cottonera area have a new family recreation area: the beautifully restored Birgu Ditch (Foss tal-Birgu). The nine-month project, inaugurated last month, was completed on time and within budget. AX Construction were the main contractors, responsible for civil works, restoration works, finishes, mechanical and electrical works, and steel works.

Denise Xuereb, Director of AX Construction, said that the works involved manual excavation that exposed the original foundations of the bastions. "We worked hand in hand with the two architects of the Restoration Directorate, Perit Amanda Degiovanni and Perit Dorianne Cachia," she said. The European Regional Development Fund provided 85% of the funding for the €1.043 million, with the remaining 15% coming from national funds. The AX Construction team, led by Ms Xuereb as project manager, included site manager Chris Micallef, foreman Noel Camilleri and in-house restorer Fabio Billi.

  • don't miss