The Malta Independent 6 December 2022, Tuesday
View E-Paper

Waterpolo: Neptunes squeeze past Sirens, another convincing win for Sliema

Stewart Said Sunday, 18 June 2017, 06:27 Last update: about 6 years ago

SIRENS ASC…………………..8


(3-2), (0-2), (2-4), (3-1)

Neptunes Leo Vegas returned to winning ways as they held on to beat a very confident Sirens 9-8 to climb into third place and keep up their title hopes well alive. It was a very tense game, as Neptunes knew before the game that only a win will do, but had to work very hard to finish the game as winners.

Sirens confirmed their potential in this game but again fell short this time by a goal, after losing to San Ġiljan 9-7 earlier in the week. Sirens were so close to take something from this game as they shared the game with their opponents and continued to fight even when things seemed to slip away. Christian Presciutti was again their chief scorer, scoring six from the eight goals of his team.

A bright start for Afric’s as they won the first session 3-2. Timmy Agius responded to Christian Presciutti’s opener, but Sirens made it 3-1 with goals from David Cutajar and Presciutti, as Jordan Camilleri reduced the deficit with a goal late in the first session. Neptunes managed to turn the tables in the second session scoring twice without conceding from brothers Stevie and Jordan Camilleri to enter the break with a 4-3 lead.

Presciutti scored his third goal of the game after the restart to equalise, but Neptunes opened a two-goal lead from Timmy Agius and Stevie Camilleri, and maybe some of those present thought that the Champions will control the game. Presciutti continued to score for his team, but Stevie Camilleri that his team finishes the session with a three-goal cushion.

Sergio Afric’s team went all out to enter back into the game, and thanks to goals by Presciutti and a brilliant lob from Brownrigg, the deficit was trimmed to only one goal. Stevie Camilleri’s fourth goal from close range with less than a minute and a half for the end of the game seemed to seal the deal, but Sirens kept playing and Presciutti scored again with 26 seconds left to play to set up an emotional finish.

Neptunes had possession which they lost with about 14 seconds to play, losing also Miguel Zammit. Sirens attacked with a man-up, but the final shot by Clint Mercieca hit the post. A sigh of relief for Neptunes winning 9-8.

Sirens: N. Grixti, J. Zerafa Gregory, C. Presciutti (4), J. Sciberras, M. Grech, I. Riolo, M. Sciberras, D. Cutajar (1), J. Napier, J. Brownrigg, L. Caruana, O. Gauci, C. Mercieca

Neptunes: A. Borg Cole, N. Lanzon, T. Agius (2), J. Culic, R. Blary (1), S. Gravina, S. Camilleri (3), J. Camilleri (2), J. Abela, M. Zammit, M. Tabone, M. Azzopardi, I. Bugeja

Referees: Massimo Angileri, Antonio Pascucci


Photos Jonathan Bugeja



(2-4), (1-4), (2-4), (2-3)

Sliema Frank Salt confirmed their potential to challenge for the title as they brushed aside Valletta United 15-7. Considering the form of both teams, the win for Sliema was expected, but Bogdan Rath will also be happy with the team’s performance as they worked as a team. The collective aspect was shown during the whole game and in fact, Rath used all his players in the team while eight players managed to score.

On the other hand, this was another disappointing defeat for Valletta as they again lost with a big margin. They lost 13-5 to Sirens, 17-8 against Neptunes and 9-6 to Exiles and this defeat against Sliema continued to expose the weaknesses of Valletta. Apart from the technical aspect, coach Stephen Rizzo has also to deal with the fragile mentality of his players, as Valletta always seem to give up when there’s a three-goal margin between their opponents.

Sliema won the first session 4-2, but their opponents were in the game as they responded to their opponents’ goals. But after Sliema scored two goals in succession from Molina and Gabarretta, the game took another twist as Bogdan Rath’s team was in control of the game, and finished the second session with an 8-3 lead.

Having the win in the bag, Sliema’s confidence level was sky high, while Valletta looked destined for another defeat. Daniel Paolella made it 8-4, but Sliema again pushed the scoring button with three consecutive goals. The game had no story as Sliema were controlling the game with ease, scoring easy goals while their opponents were only looking to finish the game with dignity, and in fact they managed to score the last through Keith Galea, beating substitute goalkeeper Zachary Sciberras who played the last half of the last session.

Valletta: R. Sciortino, J. Spiteri Staines, A. Agius (1), M. Rizzo, M. Fenech, R. Mock (1), D. Paolella (2), N. Bonello Ghio, M. Cordina, B. Vapenski (2), K. Galea (1), A. Mifsud, F. Buhagiar

Sliema: R. Coleiro, J. Gabarretta (1), E. Aquilina (2), C. Cluett (3), G. Molina (3), K. Dowling, M. Spiteri Staines (1), M. Mifsud, J. Gambin (3), M. Meli (1), Z. Mizzi, N. Bugelli (1), Z. Sciberras

Referees: Mario Dalli, Antonio Guarracino


Marsaxlokk stay with maximum points

TA’ XBIEX AMIGOS...........6


(1-5), (3-2), (1-1), (1-3)

Another routine win for Marsaxlokk Fischer defeating Ta’ Xbiex Amigos 11-6 for their third win of the league. A deserved win for Polacek’s team as they were never in danger of losing the three points up for grabs. Ta’ Xbiex tried to limit the damage after a bad start to the game, and with their limited resources they did their best. Hungarian Adam Maklari had a quiet match in his first game of the season, missing also a penalty.

Marsaxlokk began the match as they wanted, winning the first session 5-1, and with a four-goal cushion, they were already in a position to control the game. Ta’ Xbiex tried to have their say in the match, and after Brian Buhagiar made it 6-1, Rheinhard Attard scored a brace to reduce the gap to three-goals, and later, Niall Saliba responded to Karl Galea’s goal to keep the distance between both teams to three goals at the end of the second session.

The game continued on the same level, with Marsaxlokk controlling the game with no spectacular performances but doing enough to stay in a comfortable lead. On the other hand, Ta’ Xbiex were not humiliated, finishing the third session in a draw. Marsaxlokk secured the win with a brace by Serbian Ivan Vuksanovic, as the same player scored after the goal by Pace, to round a clear victory for his team.

Ta’ Xbiex: J. Micallef, A. Maklari, N. Saliba (1), E. Carabott, C. Farrugia, K. Mock, K. Tanti (1), E. Gravina, M. Pullicino, G. Debono (1), R. Attard (2), M. Pace (1), L. Pace

Marsaxlokk: A. Xuereb, C. Spiteri Debarro (1), L. Calleja, K. Galea (2), C. Gialanze, C. Bugeja, S. Meli (1), I. Vuksanovic (4), B. Buhagiar (2), R. Scerri, K. Lanzon (1), L. Gialanze, R. Bonnici

Referees: Peter Balzan, Antonio Pascucci

  • don't miss