The Malta Independent 11 August 2022, Thursday

Waterpolo: San Ġiljan keep marching on; Valletta, Exiles share spoils

Thursday, 13 July 2017, 06:05 Last update: about 6 years ago

SIRENS ASC........................4


(0-4), (1-1), (1-3), (2-3)

League leaders San Ġiljan Tum Invest kept up their brilliant form as they brushed aside Sirens with an 11-4 win to stay with maximum points after eight games. San Ġiljan had a bright start that permitted them to control the game as Sirens were caught off guard in the first session.


San Ġiljan coach Marko Orlovic must be happy with the team’s performance, as Aurelien Cousin and Aleksandar Ivovic continued to shine. San Ġiljan contained the league's top Christian Presciutti, who failed to score.

San Ġiljan won the first session 4-0 as Orlovic’s team scored goal after another with well planned actions. With that lead, San Ġiljan had the faculty to control the game. Sirens tried to balance the fierce start by San Ġiljan and reduced the distance in the second session through youngster Jacob Sciberras. But captain Matthew Zammit kept the four-goal lead with a solo goal after he extended his arm to control the ball and scored with the same left hand.

The game seem to be heading San Ġiljan’s way, and the leaders made sure from any surprises with three more goals in the third session from Ivovic, Plumpton and Dino Zammit, with Sirens replying with a Cutajar goal. The story of the game stayed the same, as San Ġiljan continued to dictate play till the end to close the game with an 11-4 win.

Sirens: N. Grixti, J. Zerafa Gregory, C. Presciutti, J. Sciberras (1), M. Grech, I. Riolo, C. Mercieca, D. Cutajar (1), J. Napier, J. Brownrigg (1), L. Caruana (1), G. Sammut, O. Gauci

San Ġiljan: J. Tanti, P. Borg (1), A. Galea, T. Said, J. Galea, M. Zammit (2), B. Plumpton (1), D. Zammit, A. Ivovic (3), A. Cousin (2), P. Fava, D. Zammit (2), T. Micallef

Referees: Vittorio Frauenfelder, Peter Balzan





(2-3), (4-4), (2-1), (1-1)

Valletta United were looking for their first win of the league, but could only finish the game with a point after scoring late in the game to deny Exiles Jetfreight their second win over them. All in all, it was a fair result, but as things stood, Exiles might feel that they lost two points.

Exiles managed to win the first session 3-2 after taking the lead with two early goals from Kurt Griscti and Andrea Bianchi, but Valletta reacted and made sure to stay in the game. The performance of Valletta enhanced and recovered to even take the lead. But Timmy Sullivan had other plans as he scored three times to put his team 7-6 in front.

The last goal was scored in the dying seconds and brought controversy. Sullivan lobbed the ball over Sciortino and referee Stefan Licari gave the goal, but goal judge Richard Magri said that the ball didn’t cross the line. During the break, the referees and the controlling table took the decision that the goal will stand.

Valletta started the third session determined to turn things around as managed to take the lead after goals by Serbian Boris Vapenski and Michael Cordina, but Exiles equalised after a good goal by Andrea Bianchi.

Veteran Michele Stellini put Exiles in front scoring from the right side. Exiles had two man-up situations they didn’t take advantage, and James Spiteri Staines equalised with less than 20 seconds till the end of the game.

Valletta: R. Sciortino, J. Spiteri Staines (1), A. Agius, M. Rizzo (2), M. Fenech, R. Mock, D. Paolella (1), N. Bonello Ghio, M. Cordina (1), B. Vapenski (3), K. Galea (1), D. Fenech, F. Buhagiar

Exiles: M. Castillo, J. Rizzo Naudi, D. Borg Millo, M. Stellini (1), T. Sullivan (4), S. Xerri de Caro, S. Nikic (1), K. Griscti (1), N. Paris, A. Bianchi (2), B. Lanzon, L. Felice, S. Galea Pace

Referees: Riccardo D’Antoni, Stefan Licari


First win for Ta’ Xbiex

TA’ XBIEX AMIGOS..........9

OTTERS NIVEA................8

(4-2), (1-3), (2-2), (2-1)

Ta’ Xbiex Amigos managed to win their first game as they won in a dramatic fashion against Otters Nivea 9-8, to stay unbeaten against the Gotizan side after they finished draw in the game of the first round. This defeat was a blow for Otters who were looking to climb in third place and staying in with a realistic chance of fighting for second place.

Otters must feel disappointed to finish the game empty-handed as the game could have gone either way, but they failed to score in the last minutes and proved to be fatal. Ta’ Xbiex improved after their huge defeats, and their good start helped them to finish with the win.

Ta’ Xbiex started on a high winning the first session 4-2, but Otters made a good reaction in the second session and recovered their disadvantage, finishing the session 5-5.

Keith Grima Scott’s team regained their lead with two goals, but Edward Meli and Marko Jelaka had other plans as they made sure that their team stays with a chance of winning. Edward Meli scored his third goal of the game to put Otters 8-7 in front, but Ta’ Xbiex equalised from Ortoleva.

The last moments of the game provided drama as Ta’ Xbiex missed a penalty by Sziranyi, and Otters had two consecutive attacks but failed to capitalise. As the game was heading towards the end, referee Massimo Angileri noticed an infringement and ordered a penalty amongst the protests of the Otters players. This time, Spaniard Balasz Sziranyi made no mistake to score the winning goal with only two seconds left.

Ta’ Xbiex: J. Micallef, B. Sziranyi (2), M. Ortoleva (1), K. Tanti (1), C. Farrugia (2), K. Mock, E. Carabott, E. Gravina, L. Saliba (1), M. Pace, R. Attard (2), M. Pullicino, L. Pace

Otters: J. Sammut, M. Borg Millo, A. Magri (1), L. Hyzler (1), E. Meli (3), D. Dimech, G. Mizzi, M. Jelaka (3), M. Paris, C. Zammit, M. Borg, C. Teuma, M. Xerri

Referees: Vittorio Frauenfelder, Massimo Angileri

  • don't miss