The Malta Independent 11 August 2022, Thursday

Waterpolo KO: San Ġiljan stay in the hunt to win all honours

Stewart Said Thursday, 27 July 2017, 07:14 Last update: about 6 years ago
Two meter man Peter Borg of San Giljan TUM Invest picks his spot to score the first for his side against Sirens ASC Greentube.
Two meter man Peter Borg of San Giljan TUM Invest picks his spot to score the first for his side against Sirens ASC Greentube.

Sirens Greentube V. San Giljan Tum Invest  6-10
(0-4), (2-4), (3-1), (1-1)

San Ġiljan Tum Invest started defending the knock-out they won last year, by defeating Sirens Greentube 10-6 to advance to the knock-out semi-finals where they will face rivals Neptunes Leo Vegas. San Ġiljan kept with the predictions before the game and never looked in danger of losing the game.


Sirens failed to control the power of their opponents and looked to be heading for a big defeat, but at least managed to make the score more respectable.

Marko Orlovic’s team made a bright start to the game as thanks to Peter Borg, a brace by Aleksandar Ivovic and Matthew Zammit, they opened a comfortable 4-0 lead. Marc Grech reduced the deficit in the beginning of the second session, but Borg, Ivovic and Andreas Galea made the score 71, and Ivovic scored his fourth goal of the game to respond to Presciutti’s goal and finishing the session with an 8-2 advantage.

Marko Orlovic’s continue to change players more frequently, as Sirens managed to score three times to reduce the deficit, which still wasn’t enough, as San Ġiljan stayed in a comfortable lead, missing also some chances, and winning the game 10-6 as the last session ended in a draw.

Photos Domenic Aquilina

Sirens: N. Grixti, J. Zerafa Gregory, C. Presciutti (3), J. Sciberras, M. Grech (1), I. Riolo, C. Mercieca (1), D. Cutajar, J. Napier, J. Brownrigg (1), L. Caruana, M. Sciberras, O. Gauci

San Giljan: J. Tanti, P. Borg (3), A. Galea (1), T. Said, J. Galea, M. Zammit (1), B. Plumpton (1), D. Zammit, A. Ivovic (4), A. Cousin, P. Fava, D. Zammit, T. Micallef

Referees: Giuseppe Fusco, Mario Dalli

Sliema keep their ambitions alive with a late win

Exiles Jetfreight V. Sliema Frank Salt 12-13
(2-2), (3-3), (4-0), (3-8) 

Sliema Frank Salt squeezed in the semi-finals of the knock-out as they qualified after beating a resilient Exiles Jetfreight side 13-12. A tight affair that was decided by a goal very late in the game from Jamie Gambin that broke Exiles’ hearts, as they were trying to advance to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the club.

Despite winning, Sliema still has a lot of problems as they aren’t working as a unit and the recent performances are proof of that as they won the last three games by a goal difference in the last moments of each game.

A handful of Exiles’ players had a good game but Michele Stellini, Timmy Sullivan and Slobodan Nikic showed their qualities, and it was a shame that they finished the game as losers, despite letting their opponents come back in the game in the last period.

Mark Meli opened the score, but Exiles turned the tables until Jerome Gabarretta made the score 2-2.

In the second session, Exiles were three times in front but Sliema responded every time from Spiteri Staines, Meli and Bugelli to finish the session 5-5.

Exiles exploited well the weaknesses of their opponents after the break and managed to score four goals without reply and take a deserved 9-5 lead. Sliema looked doomed, but started to recover in the last session as they managed to score four out of the five goals to reduce the margin to one goal.

Exiles were surprised but tried to stay composed and tried twice to enlarge their lead, but Nicholas Bugelli scored to reduce the distance for the Blues. Sliema equalised through Guillermo Molina and scored the winning goal from Jamie Gambin. Exiles tried to equalise in the last action of the game, but the final shot hit the crossbar.

Exiles: M. Castillo, J. Rizzo Naudi, D. Borg Millo, M. Stellini (4), T. Sullivan (2), S. Xerri de Caro, S. Nikic (3), K. Griscti (1), N. Paris, A. Bianchi (2), B. Lanzon, L. Felice, S. Galea Pace

Sliema: R. Coleiro, J. Gabarretta (1), E. Aquilina, C. Cluett, G. Molina (2), K. Dowling, M. Spiteri Staines, L. Galea, J. Gambin (1), M. Meli (2), Z. Mizzi (1), N. Bugelli (4), Z. Sciberras

Giuseppe Ibba, Ronnie Spiteri

First Division KO

An easy win for the holders

Ta’ Xbiex Amigos V. Marsaxlokk Fischer 7-13
(0-1), (2-5), (1-3), (4-4) 

Holders Marsaxlokk Fischer found no difficulty in advancing to the semi-finals, defeating Ta’ Xbiex Amigos 13-7 to book a place against Marsaskala Transcripta.

The first session was dominated by the wind and had an effect on Marsaxlokk who could only score late in the game from Rainier Scerri. Marsaxlokk gained control of the game and it was no surprise to finish the session 6-2 ahead, as after Sziranyi responded for the goal of Luke Calleja, the scored four consecutive goals.

Ta’ Xbiex tried to stay in the game but could only score from Rheinhard Attard, as Marsaxlokk secured the win with goals from Christian Gialanze, Kayne Lanzon and Zeljko Kovacic to open up a six-goal advantage, and a margin that stayed the same in the last session as Marsaxlokk controlled the game.

Ta' Xbiex: J. Micallef, B. Sziranyi (2), M. Camilleri (1), M. Ortoleva (1), C. Farrugia, K. Mock, L. Saliba, T. Zammit (1), E. Gravina, M. Pullicino, R. Attard (2), M. Pace, L. Pace

Marsaxlokk: A. Xuereb, C. Spiteri Debarro (4), L. Calleja (1), K. Galea, C. Gialanze (1), C. Bugeja, M. Cacici, Z. Kovacic (1), B. Buhagiar (2), R. Scerri (2), K. Lanzon (1), L. Gialanze (1), R. Bonnici

Giuseppe Fusco, Peter Balzan


  • don't miss