The Malta Independent 3 December 2021, Friday

Updated - Waterpolo: San Giljan crowned champions for 10th time with three games to spare

Saturday, 5 August 2017, 20:50 Last update: about 5 years ago

San Giljan were crowned waterpolo champions for the 10th time in history after beating Sirens 17-7.

The saints dominated the waterpolo season this summer, notching win after win to seal their overall victory with three games to spare.

San Giljan have a 12-point advantage over Neptunes.

The saints have also won the winter league and President’s Cup earlier in the year.


San Giljan had a slow start as Sirens kept up the pace with their opponents, and on two occasions opened a one-goal advantage in the second session. But San Giljan quickly turned the tables to open a sizeable gap and went on to win 17-7.



(3-2), (4-3), (4-1), (6-2)

(Photos Domenic Aquilina)

San Ġiljan Tum Invest are mathematically champions of the Waterpolo scene for the 10th time after they defeated Sirens Greentube 17-7 to win two titles from the last three years, stay with maximum points after 12 games and also continue their quest to win all the titles in 2017.

A performance that only was to their level in the third and fourth sessions after the first two sessions were characterised by pressure to win in front of a large crowd. Another five-star performance by their foreigner Aleksandar Ivovic who spearheaded his team especially after the break.

Credit also has to go for coach Marko Orlovic who managed to control all the quality he has in the team to create a powerful squad that is favourite to keep dominating the local scene.

San Ġiljan had a bright start to the game as they had a 3-1 advantage, but Christian Presciutti led his team to reduce the margin and finish the first session with only one-goal disadvantage. The Italian scoring machine even equalised in the second session, and John Brownrigg even put Sirens in front. After Ivovic equalised, David Cutajar regained Sirens’ lead. But a brace by Ivovic and Cousin put San Ġiljan in the driving seat.

After a not so brilliant performance in the first part of the game, San Ġiljan had the control of the game and after Cutajar responded to Borg’s goal, they dominated the game and deservedly scored three times from Matthew Zammit, Ben Plumpton and Dino Zammit to finish the session 11-6 in front and practically seal the game.

The last session confirmed San Ġiljan’s dominance as they continued to score more goals, with their opponents left helpless as they could only score in the last seconds, after six wonderful and powerful goals by San Ġiljan.

After the game, celebrations reached their climax, as the players and staff could celebrate with their supporters knowing that they can call themselves champions.

San Ġiljan: J. Tanti, P. Borg (1), A. Galea, T. Said, J. Galea, M. Zammit (3), B. Plumpton (2), Da. Zammit, A. Ivovic (7), A. Cousin (2), P. Fava, Di. Zammit (2), T. Micallef

Sirens: N. Grixti, J. Zerafa Gregory, C. Presciutti (3), J. Sciberras, M. Grech, I. Riolo, C. Mercieca, D. Cutajar (3), J. Napier, J. Brownrigg (1), G. Sammut, J. Cutajar, O. Gauci

Referees: Massimo Angileri, Paola Bensaia

 Photos: Domenic Aquilina

Neptunes closer to second place


EXILES JETFREIGHT...............9

(1-2), (3-2), (3-2), (5-3)

Neptunes Leo Vegas continued to edge closer to confirm second place after they defeated for the third time in the league Exiles Jetfreight 12-9. After dominating the first two games, this time it was a different affair, as Exiles were in the game pretty much through the whole game.

Neptunes, who had coach Zoran Maslovar suspended, did enough to win the game, as despite not being five-star, they were cynical in important moments of the game. Stevie Camilleri was again their best scorer with four goals.

Exiles won the first session 2-1 after goals by Julian Rizzo Naudi and Nicky Paris, after Jordan Camilleri had equalised momentarily. Dorian Pisani’s team continued to play to the level of their opponents and it was no surprise that they were 4-2 up, but Stevie Camilleri and Timmy Agius managed to equalise before the end of the session.

Neptunes were more on the offensive side and deservedly went in front for the first time from another goal by Agius, but Sullivan equalised for Exiles. Neptunes went 7-5 in front after goals by Jordan Camilleri and Niki Lanzon in a period where Exiles were protesting heavily for decisions against them. Griscti clawed one back to keep his team still with a chance.

Igor Martinovic’s team killed the game with three consecutive goals from brothers Stevie and Jordan Camilleri and Romain Blary. Exiles scored twice from Sullivan and Bianchi, but Stevie Camilleri and Romain Blary restored their lead, as Paris scored the last goal of the game for Exiles.

After the game, Neptunes’ main scorer Stevie Camilleri was presented with the July Player of the Month award from BOV Chief Officer Peter Perotti.

Neptunes: A. Borg Cole, N. Lanzon (1), T. Agius (2), K. Erdogan, R. Blary (2), S. Gravina, S. Camilleri (4), J. Camilleri (3), J. Abela, M. Zammit, J. Culic, M. Azzopardi, I. Bugeja

Exiles: M. Castillo, J. Rizzo Naudi (1), D. Borg Millo, M. Stellini, T. Sullivan (3), S. Xerri de Caro, S. Nikic (1), K. Griscti (1), N. Paris (2), A. Bianchi (1), B. Lanzon, J. Bajada, S. Galea Pace

Referees: Ronnie Spiteri, Giuseppe Fusco


Otters win after a great comeback


OTTERS NIVEA.....................12

(4-3), (2-0), (4-3), (1-6)

Marsaxlokk Fischer have to wait to be crowned Champions of the first division for the second consecutive season after they suffered their second loss of the league, losing 12-11 to Otters Nivea. The Gozitan team won the points after a sensational comeback after they started the last session with a four-goal disadvantage.

Roman Polacik’s team started the match on a positive note and ended the first session with a deserved one-goal lead as they were more compact in their play and made use more of their players in their attacks. Marsaxlokk’s superiority was confirmed in the second session, extending their lead to three goals with a brace from Zeljko Kovacic.

Otters tried to stay in the game as they responded three times after every Marsaxlokk goal, but Christian Gialanze’s goal gave Marsaxlokk what seemed to be a comfortable four-goal lead. In the last session, Otters managed to reduce the gap to one goal after a brace by Jelaka and a goal by Edward Meli.

Kayne Lanzon scored for Marsaxlokk to restore the distance, but a quick brace by Gabriel Mizzi equalised the game. It boiled down to the last minute of the game, in which Edward Meli concluded a well-planned action to score the winning goal with 25 seconds till the end of the game.

Marsaxlokk still need a point, but can also win the league if Marsaskala don’t win their game against Ta’ Xbiex.

Marsaxlokk: A. Xuereb, C. Spiteri Debarro (2), L. Calleja, K. Galea, C. Gialanze (1), C. Bugeja, S. Meli, Z. Kovacic (5), B. Buhagiar, R. Scerri (2), K. Lanzon (1), L. Gialanze, M. Cacici

Otters: M. Xerri, M. Borg Millo, A. Magri, L. Hyzler (1), E. Meli (3), D. Dimech, G. Mizzi (2), M. Jelaka (6), K. Scicluna, C. Zammit, M. Borg, C. Teuma, J. Sammut


Referees: Mario Dalli, Paola Bensaia


  • don't miss