The Malta Independent 11 August 2022, Thursday

BOV Div I: San Gwann seal it with early goal as Qrendi claim derby victory in dramatic fashion

Chris Cassar Sunday, 29 October 2017, 22:35 Last update: about 6 years ago
Photos: Jonathan Bugeja
Photos: Jonathan Bugeja

San Gwann         1

Zabbar SP            0

Mario Arieta Suarez scored a good goal after barely ten minutes play to give San Gwann their second victory of the season over fellow promoted side Zabbar St.Patrick. The same player however was shown a straight red ten minutes from time as San Gwann withstood Zabbar’s late efforts to save the match.


However San Gwann desreved their voctory with Jan Tanti playing a very good game for the winners.  

San Gwann started on the attack and the Zabbar goalkeeper saved a point blank header from Andre Cachia on eight minutes but had to surrender three minutes later when Mario Andres Arteta Suarez lobbed beautifully home from just inside the box.

San Gwann slightly had the edge over their opponents but Zabbar almost obtained the equaliser on 26 minutes when Kurt Borg’s drive was blocked by Bartolo and from the rebound Diacono’s drive hit the upper part of the crossbar.

On 35 minutes Diacono was put through by Borg, but the Zabbar striker failed to dribble past goalkeeper Bartolo. Six minutes from the break Grech made a brilliant save off a Jan Tanti scorcher from the edge of the area.

On the resumption San Gwann controlled the game with Zabbar unable to create scoring chances. Ten minutes from time Arieta Suarez was sent off by the referee and Zabbar pushed everything forward in search of a dramatic equaliser but San Gwann held on to their slender lead till the end.

San Ġwann: E. Bartolo, M. Arteta Suarez, J. Azzopardi, K. Gatt, A. Borg, R. Zammit, A. Cachia (A. Abela 89 min), J.C. Kiala (D. Chavez Flores 75 min), J. Tanti (N. Abouhaisa 86 min), M. Kura, S. Vella.

Żabbar SP: J. Grech, K. Sacco, K. Borg, K. Cutajar, C. Camilleri, S. Diacono, D. Aquilina (A. Azzopardi 61 min), N. Falzon, S. Cesare, C. Stewart, C. Magro (G. Tabone 67 min).

Referee: Ishmael Barbara

Qrendi claim derby victory in dramatic fashion

Qrendi                  3

Mqabba               2

Qrendi recovered from a two-goal deficit after just 25 minutes to claim a historic derby victory over neighbours Mqabba, to remain unbeaten and move further up the table.

Mqabba had a devastating start with Trebovac in splendid form and with the Qrendi defence unable to control the ex-Zebbug player. On eight minutes Trebovac made all the work on the left flank before crossing towards Paul Chimezie who headed home from close range.

On 26 minutes Mwabba doubled the score with a similar action, with again Trebovac crossing from the left to the completely unmarked Lyden Micallef who drilled home. Qrendi however had a good reaction with shots from Kenneth Abela and a Santos Da Hora freekick brilliantly saved by Debono.

Mqabba missed a sitter on 33 minutes when gesualdi passed towards Dyson falzon who shot over the bar when well placed. Just before the break Qrendi were back in business when from a Nakamura corner, Keneeth Abela headed towards Santos Da Hora who put the ball at the back of the net from two meters.

Mqabba held the initiative on the resumption but Qrendi drew level on 64 minutes whem Petar Mrvic slotted home from close range following a Mark Barbara freekick. Two minutes later Qrendi almost took the lead when a nakamura shot skimmed the base of the upright.

But ten minutes from time Qrendi scored the winner when Nakamura finished in style a fast break by Santos Da Hora. In stoppage time Mqabba were reduced to ten men when Carl Cutajar was sent off for a nasty tackle on Nakamura and just before the final whistle goalkeeper Azzopardi saved the day when he denied Paul Chimezie.

Qrendi:  J. Azzopardi, M. Farrugia, P. Mrvic, D. Santos Da Hora (D. Martini 84 min), Z. Bowman, D. Sammut, E. Amaira (A. Agius 69 min), M. Barbara, S. Nakamura, J. Spiteri (D. Zarb 32 min), K. Abela.

Mqabba: J. Debono, R. Mandic (N. Ojuola 84 min), M. Borg, A. Scicluna, D. Falzon (G. Micallef 75 min), K. Cutajar, P. Chimezie, G. Gesualdi, R. Tantie, L. Micallef (B. Muscat 84 min), T. Trebovac.

Referee:  Malcolm Spiteri 

  • don't miss