The Malta Independent 4 June 2020, Thursday

Waterpolo, BOV Summer League: A brilliant first session paves the way for Sirens’ win

Stewart Said Saturday, 6 July 2019, 21:11 Last update: about 12 months ago
Photo: Domenic Aquilina
Photo: Domenic Aquilina

SIRENS GREENTUBE.................. 18

EXILES ELIA CATERERS............... 12

(4-0), (2-4), (6-4), (6-4)

Sirens Greentube recovered from their disappointing loss against Sliema as they brushed aside Exiles Elia Caterers 18-12. It was a convincing performance by Sasko Popovski's side as they dominated for large periods of the game while Exiles were constrained to stage a huge comeback.


Sirens were already four goals in front by the end of the first session after goals by veteran Edward Aquilina and Jerome Zerafa Gregory. Exiles lacked flair in attack and also missed some chances from favourable positions.

Exiles got themselves back in the game in the second session, scoring four goals from two braces by their foreigners Marko Jelaca and Milos Vukicevic to reduce the gap to 6-4.

Sirens took back control of the encounter in the third session with goals from Isaiah Riolo and Luke Caruana while Christian Presciutti responded to Marko Jelaca's goal for a 9-5 lead. Exiles stayed in the game through goals by Jelaca, Vukicevic and Aurelien Cousin and cut the lead to only two goals. But Sirens were quick to keep their comfortable advantage with two goals by Presciutti and Valentino Gallo to begin the last session 12-8.

Exiles made an effort but Sirens were concentrated enough and upped their game after their opponents reduced the gap to 13-10, finishing the game with a comfortable advantage.

Sirens: N. Grixti, J. Zerafa Gregory (2), C. Presciutti (4), P. Privitera (1), M. Grech, J. Brownrigg (1), I. Riolo (2), V. Gallo (2), J. Napier, E. Aquilina (4), L. Caruana (2), M. Sciberras, G. Galea Curmi, L. Falzon, G. Farrugia

Exiles: M. Castillo, A. Magri, M. Jelaca (5), T. Sullivan (1), S. Xerri de Caro, M. Fenech, K. Griscti, M. Vukicevic (5), A. Cousin (1), N. Paris, P. Paris, M. Martin, S. Apap

Referees: Peter Balzan, Federico Braghini


SLIEMA FRANK SALT................ 19


(4-2), (4-4), (6-2), (5-1)

Sliema Frank Salt continued to build on their win against Sirens as they showed their strength to beat Marsaxlokk Brown's Pharmacy 19-9. Sliema practically were never in danger of losing the game but capitalised from a demoralised Marsaxlokk side in the last session to finish the game with a ten-goal margin.

Sliema's only moment when they weren't in the lead was when Timothy Agius equalised for Marsaxlokk. Hungarian Norbert Hoznyansky scored twice as Sliema had a 4-2 lead. Marsaxlokk were still in the game in the second session as they responded twice to the goals by Nicholas Bugelli and Michael Spiteri Staines, while they finished the session only two goals behind after two consecutive goals by Micallef.

Sergio Afric's men continued to control the game and made sure of the win in the third session. Hoznyansky and Michael Spiteri scored three consecutive goals while Marsaxlokk cut the gap to three goals after goals by Keith Galea and Ivan Nagaev. But Gavril Subotic listed himself amongst the scorers with a bang scoring a hat-trick.

The last session was a formality as Sliema not only controlled but dominated the session leaving Ryan Coleiro and then substitute Fredrick Buhagiar helpless.

Sliema: J. Parnis, J. Gabarretta (4), G. Subotic (5), J. Sciberras, M. Meli, N. Hoznyansky (4), M. Spiteri Staines (2), L. Galea, B. Cachia, J. Gambin, Z. Mizzi, N. Bugelli (4), M. Vassallo, J. Cutajar, E. Schembri

Marsaxlokk: R. Coleiro, J. Rizzo Naudi, L. Calleja, M. Martellacci, T. Agius (1), J. Galea, A. Vlahovic (3), I. Nagaev (2), S. Micallef (2), R. Scerri, L. Saliba, O. Zammit, F. Buhagiar, M. Pace, K. Galea (1)

Referees: Massimo Angileri, Marco Piano




(5-3), (4-4), (5-3), (4-3)

Valletta Videoslots are sole leaders of the First Division after a deserved win at the expense of Birżebbuġa Freeport. Valletta controlled the match and were always in the lead apart from the beginning of the game. Joe Sciortino coached the team after Bogdan Rath ended his relationship with the team following the negative results.

Russian Dmitri Kholod was the protagonist for Valletta as he scored all the four goals that gave his team a 4-2 lead. Valletta started the second session with a double advantage and had the control of the game as at one point they were 8-4 ahead. Birżebbuġa kept believing and reduced the gap to only a goal, until Sasa Misic made it 9-7.

This goal gave Valletta the necessary boost for the third session as they stretched their lead to six goals, but Birżebbuġa were brave to keep hoping with three consecutive goals to cut the lead to 14-11.

Valletta made sure of the win in the beginning of the last session thanks to goals by Kholod and Michael Cordina. Birżebbuġa fought till the end to reduce the deficit and ended the game four goals behind.

Valletta: R. Sciortino, J. Spiteri Staines (1), A. Agius (1), P. Borg (1), A. Bianchi, R. Mock, M. Zammit (1), M. Mifsud, M. Cordina (2), C. Zammit (1), D. Kholod (7), N. Farrugia, R. Bonnici, S. Misic (4)

Birżebbuġa: A. Bugeja, M. Borg, N. Cassar, D. Pace Lupi (1), C. Mifsud, A. Petkovic (5), S. Vassallo, D. Cutajar (2), J. Bajada (1), M. Cutajar (1), A. Goreta (2), M. Ortoleva (2), J. Cremona

Referees: Neville Mercieca, Marco Piano

  • don't miss