The Malta Independent 19 June 2021, Saturday

Cassola asks Hyzler to investigate Comino roadworks

Friday, 7 May 2021, 11:43 Last update: about 2 months ago

Independent politician Arnold Cassola has requested the Standards Commissioner to open an investigation into Gozo Minister Clint Camilleri on illegal roadworks carried out in Comino.

In a letter to Standards Commissioner George Hyzler, Cassola said that Camilleri should be investigated of his “abusive behaviour” in commissioning roadworks which resulted in the destruction of countryside at Blue Lagoon, in Comino.

ADVERTISEMENT

The Environmental Ombudsman had already concluded that the works carried out in Comino were illegal, and should have required permission from the Planning Authority – to the contrary of what the Gozo Ministry had claimed.

Cassola asked for Hyzler to investigate four aspects of the situation:

The first aspect is that Camilleri commissioned works in a Natura 2000 site without acquiring the necessary permits from the Planning Authority.

The second accusation is that Camilleri lied when his Ministry said that the measures were necessary as emergency works for touristic means, when “in fact he commissioned the works to service kiosks, the owners of which are mostly canvassers of his ministry.”

The third is an alleged abuse of a direct order, where alleged that the ministry had engaged an architect by direct order without issuing a public call.

The fourth is that he had given illegal works directly to an official of the Labour Party – the architect William Lewis, alleging partisan nepotism in this regard.

Cassola also expressed his appreciation to Hyzler for his work and the rectitude with which he carries it in.

  • don't miss