The Malta Independent 30 July 2021, Friday

Updated: 82-year-old passes away from Covid-19, no new virus cases found

Thursday, 17 June 2021, 10:34 Last update: about 2 months ago

An 82-year-old man has become the 420th person to pass away in Malta in relation to the Covid-19 pandemic, Health Minister Chris Fearne announced on Thursday.

He is the first person to die from the virus since 26 May.

Fearne said that the man had tested positive for Covid-19 twice.  He had recovered from the first time with the virus, then gotten vaccinated, but subsequently tested positive again.  He was admitted to Mater Dei Hospital, which is where he passed away.

ADVERTISEMENT

The health authorities daily update shows that 11 people have been declared as recovered from the virus, meaning that the number of active cases now stands at 33.

1,978 swab tests were done on Wednesday, taking the total number of swab tests up to 959,419 so far.

Meanwhile, 609,867 doses of the vaccine have now been administered.

346,576 of those were a first dose, while 274,321 people are now fully vaccinated.

The Health Minister said earlier that Malta currently has no Covid-positive patients in its hospitals at the moment.

Malta has had 30,585 cases of the virus. 30,132 of those have recovered, while 420 have died.

  • don't miss