The Malta Independent 21 September 2021, Tuesday

Power cuts: ‘The situation is unacceptable’ - Miriam Dalli

Giuseppe Attard Thursday, 5 August 2021, 11:39 Last update: about 3 months ago

Energy Minister Miriam Dalli said today that it is “unacceptable” that in this day and age Malta is experiencing power cuts with such frequency, and that she has demanded an explanation about the situation from Enemalta.

“The issue is evident. I empathise with the people and fully understand their frustrations given the fact that we are going through a heat wave," Dalli said when asked by journalists.

ADVERTISEMENT

She also asked Enemalta to identify the weak points of the network in order to have a proper plan for a way forward. 

During the first 7 months of the year, electricity demand has increased by 7.7% when compared to last year, Enemalta said in a recent statement.

On 3 August, the demand for electricity reached an all time high of 561 Mega Watts, this is an increase of 10% on the previous record.

Enemalta said that: “The significant increase over the past few weeks together with the high temperatures have caused damage on the low voltage network.”

“The problem is not one of electrical supply but one of distribution […] the low voltage problems have to be addressed as soon as possible. It might take some time but it is something which has to be addressed”, Dalli said

In recent years, the government has invested €130 million in the distribution network Dalli said. "It is evident that this €130 million is not enough therefore we have to continue to increase our investment as I want every household in Malta to have the best service possible.”

“At the end of the day I occupy the role of Energy Minister therefore I am doing everything in my power to remedy the situation as soon as possible.”

  • don't miss