The Malta Independent 28 May 2023, Sunday
View E-Paper

San Ġiljan beat rivals Neptunes to clinch the knock-out again

Thursday, 4 August 2022, 06:41 Last update: about 11 months ago



(5-3), (1-4), (4-1), (3-2)


It was another clash between the rivals. Like last Saturday’s game, both teams were determined to win, this time vying for an honour. In the end it was the collective effort of San Ġiljan that helped them to secure another knock-out, the third consecutive one and the 14th title in their history, also considering the years as Balluta.


Neptunes were brave enough to recover twice but the fact that they had to chase the game almost all the time, proved to be one of their downfalls in the last minutes. Jordan Camilleri’s absence continued to be a huge absence in direct clashes. Newly appointed coach Dorian Pisani needs to re-focus his team to challenge for the title.

San Ġiljan were irresistible in the first minutes of the game. After Jake Muscat cancelled Peter Borg’s opener, San Ġiljan scored three consecutive goals from Nikolai Zammit, Jake Bonavia and Andreas Galea. Jake Muscat reduced the gap twice to keep the two-goal distance between the teams.

Muscat’s goals seemed to stimulate Neptunes in the second session as they cut the gap with two quick goals. San Ġiljan failed to keep the same level of performance. Despite youngster Jake Bonavia’s goal, Neptunes ended the session with their noses in front after two brilliant goals by Alec Fenech.

Stevie Camilleri’s goal early after the restart gave the impression that Neptunes had the control of the game. But San Ġiljan had other plans as after Matthew Zammit’s equaliser, they scored another three goals to take a 10-8 advantage ahead of the last session.

Jake Muscat from a penalty and a perfect goal by Alec Fenech diminished the gap again. But Nikolai Zammit had other plans as he regained the lead for his team a few seconds later from a penalty.

San Ġiljan secured the win two minutes and a half from the end and despite Neptunes’ last efforts, San Ġiljan even found the time seal the win, thanks to Darren Zammit’s goal. As expected, the final whistle was met with joy from the San Ġiljan supporters and disappointment from the losing team.

Joe Agius, Chief Technology Officer of Bank of Valletta, presented the honour to San Ġiljan captain Matthew Zammit, in the presence of ASA Vice President Karl Galea.

San Ġiljan: J. Tanti, P. Borg (2), A. Galea (2), N. Schiavone, M. Zammit (1), B. Plumpton, D. Tully, J. Bonavia (2), N. Zammit (4), D. Zammit (1), N. Bugelli, G. Vassallo, M. Ortoleva (1), D. Fero

Neptunes: A. Borg Cole, J. Muscat (4), S. Gialanze, G. Pace, J. Cachia, J. Spiteri Staines, S. Camilleri (1), J. Abela (1), M. Spiteri Staines, A. Fenech (4), M. Castillo, M. Rossi, M. Farrugia

Referees: Luca Bianco, Massimo Angileri



Brilliant first session paves way for Marsaskala win


VALLETTA IZIBET............... 7


(1-4), (2-2), (2-2), (2-1)


Marsaskala Fish and Fish ended the BOV First Division knock-out final with a win, another trophy, and a huge morale booster ahead of what could be, another battle with Valletta Izibet for the First Division title.

Arpad Babay’s players scored a quick double in the opening session to take control of the game. Rheinhard Attard pulled one back, but Raoul Greco and Malcolm Manara opened up a 4-1 lead.

The first session set the pace for the remainder of the match. The margin was even enlarged to five goals in the second session until Valletta pulled to two goals back late in the session for a 6-3 scoreline.

A bold reaction from Valletta was expected to salvage something from the game. Despite showing some form of resistance, it was simply not good enough. They only came two goals adrift, and Manara’s third personal goal made it even more difficult.

It wasn’t the first time that an 8-5 scoreline was overturned but as the game was developing, it looked quite difficult for Valletta. The goal by captain Jean Claude Cutajar midway through the last session, secured the win for Marsaskala. Valletta’s two goals late in the game only served as consolation. After the game, Joe Agius, Chief Technology Officer of BOV presented the trophy to Jean Claude Cutajar.

Valletta: B. Busuttil, N. Farrugia, M. Pace, M. Cacici, S. Busuttil (1), Z. Micallef (1), D. Paolella (1), M. Mifsud (2), S. Micallef, A. Agius, K. Galea, K. Cremona, A. Bugeja, L. Felice, R. Attard (2)

Marsaskala: J. Micallef, J.C. Cutajar (2), A. Camenzuli, P. Privitera, R. Greco (1), G. Galea, K. Navarro, M. Manara (3), D. Pace Lupi, G. Sammut (1), J. Ciantar (1), M. Carani (1), A. Muscat, F. Scardino, L. Falzon

Referees: Francesco Romolini, Ronnie Spiteri



Diacono’s goal sways the game in favour of San Ġiljan


SAN ĠILJAN OZO........ 10


(3-2), (2-3), (2-3), (3-1)


San Ġiljan OZO Group won the BOV knock-out final after beating Sliema Arkadia 10-9 in a balanced affair between two title contenders.

San Ġiljan had a 3-1 advantage in the first session but midway through the second session, Sliema scored three consecutive goals to regain the lead. San Ġiljan had to equalise twice till the end of the session from Michela Zammit and Alyssa Diacono.

Despite the goal by Elena Borg in the beginning of the third session, Sliema reacted with two goals for a 7-6 advantage. Diacono equalised but Louise Cachia kept the slim advantage for Sliema.

Nadia Azzopardi’s brace in the last session paved the way for San Ġiljan’s win. Karla Camilleri equalised but Diacono’s goal from man-up proved to be the match winner. After the game, San Ġiljan captain Stephanie Tanti Desjardin was presented with the trophy.

San Ġiljan: S. Tanti Desjardin, N. Azzopardi (2), B. Vassallo, M. Bonello Ghio, E. Borg (1), E. Miceli, A. Bonello (2), M. Darmanin, A. Diacono (3), D. Azzopardi, M. Zammit (2), S. Cassar, K. Xuereb

Sliema: K. Plumpton, K. Camilleri (1), S. Figallo, L. Fenech (1), L. Cachia (2), F. Paolella (3), S. Camilleri, K. Cutajar, E. Schembri, Y. Bonett (2), A. Friggieri, M. Micallef

Referees: Luca Bianco, Alex de Raffaele

  • don't miss