The Malta Independent 30 March 2023, Thursday
View E-Paper

Premier League: Sirens bounce back in six goal thriller against Valletta

Thursday, 2 February 2023, 09:27 Last update: about 3 months ago

Valletta failed to maintain a two‐goal cushion against Sirens in an entertaining match which finished 3‐3.

The Citizens were always in command but Sirens never gave up and managed to save the match with a late penalty.

Sirens had two penalties both scored by Bento De Vale who was also voted as the player of the match.


For Valletta another lost opportunity to gain the three points at stake, as the Citizens now have a rather difficult calendar in the coming days, facing high flying Birkirkara next Sunday, and then twice facing Hamrun Spartans in the League and in the FA Trophy competition.

Valletta couldn’t have had a better start to this match as they were already in front after only three minutes play.

It was Shaun Dimech, who yesterday had a very good match, who fired past Matthew Grech to open up the score.

Sirens were not put back by this and immediately regained their composure and it was evi‐dent that they are going to give the Citizens more than a good run for their money.

On 15 minutes Formosa made his first save of the match when he deflected Vaikaniah’s effort.

On the half hour Valletta went close to making it two when a shot by Kylian bevis missed the upright by a whisker.

Sixty seconds later at the other end a Bento drive from the edge of the area sailed over the bar.

Six minutes from the break Valletta doubled the score. It was a good move by Thane Micallef’s outfit, with Kylian Bevis beating Matthew Grech, with Valletta set for a relatively easy victory.

But the game was still young and Sirens were even more de‐ termined at the start of the sec‐ ond half as they piled the pressure on the Citizens taking control of the initiative.

On 47 minutes Sirens were un‐ lucky when a Bento effort hit the upright with Formosa beaten.

The goal was in the air and two minutes later Willy floored Vaikainah in the area, and from the resultant penalty Bento beat Formosa to put Sirens back in business.

However Sirens’ joy was shortlived as five minutes later Valletta re‐established their two goal cushion.

It was the ex‐Birkirkara strike Federico Falcone who scored from close range following a cross from Nnomo.

This however did not destroy Sirens who kept up the fight and on 68 minutes again managed to reduce the arrears.

It was another Bento move that split the Valletta defence before passing towards Kei Sano who had a rather easy task putting the ball at the back of the net.

Sirens now pushed for more as Valletta elected to defend their slender lead.

Sirens kept piling up the pressure with Valletta unable to take advantage of the spaces left at the back by Sirens.

On 87 minutes Sirens’ efforts were rewarded when they obtained the second penalty of the match for a Christian Gauci handling infringement, and once again Bento made no mistake from the spot for a final 3‐3 scoreline.


  • don't miss